traveling Xenia

Dhayden

I have had some xenia in my 20 for 6 months. It is all of a sudden, starting to grow and now travel all over in my tank. Any idea how to keep it put, if poss. It kind of seems it is trying to move inot the highest rate of flow, one is even starting to get pulled into a powerhead :D

Guess thats why most consider it a weed. I have one encroaching on a acro. you would think it would be getting stung by the acro, but nope.

The Xenia will certainly overtake that acro, which has a very weak sting.

Try getting underneath the xenia with a flathead screwdriver, taking a small sliver of rock with it. Blunt Xacto knives work well too.

Is there anyway to limit the area xenia will take over? Like if it's at the top of a finger of rock so it's sort of on an island, would it be easier to limit it to that finger, so to speak? I like the movement of xenia so I might want to try it at some point, so I've been wondering about methods to keep it but still keep it confined.

ej

You can isolate it with some success in areas of low to moderate flow. An island of rock in the sand, or a finger or peak surrounded by zoas or GSP can work. though you have to find something to surround the GSP happy3.gif If the xenia is in higher flow (sps tank) then it can drop polyps and spread around the tank. If this happens you may still be able to control it with some attentive gardening. I found that it just grows too fast for my reef tank so it, and the anthelia, are banished to the seahorse tank.