I want to start a nano reef

tennisjad3

Thinkng of grabbing a nano tank for the hell of it. Im assuming fluval is the best all in one nano tank builds? If anyone has any advice please let me know!

I like the 7.9 and 5 gallons so far. The only downside to the 7.9 is it comes standard with this light. Would this support coral?

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK/ref=pd_sim_199_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q4CAQE79ERVSYBD0673

Edited by tennisjad3

I will have a Fluval Edge available very soon that I'll give you very cheap if you can be patient. You'll need to upgrade the light (mine burned out a little bit ago so I'm upgrading) but I can give you the rest of what you'll need.

I had the Wavepoint 12" combo white/blue light for a long time. It worked really well for softies and limited LPS. You might also consider something from BML, depending on what you want to keep. Nano-reef.com is a great resource to see the variety of set-ups out there. Nanos and picos are fun!!

• Like 1

I believe that nano tanks are 10-25 gallons and pico tanks are below 10 gallons. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the Fluval is a freshwater tank. From the feedback that I have seen Coralife Biocube is the best nano and Picotope is the best pico. I also hear that JBJ is a good brand of all-in-one. Many people use the Ebay all in one tanks as frag tanks and they also qualify in this range. They are perfect for keeping corals because they are shallow. Not so great for fish though. I hope this helps!

I had a JBJ Picotope for a while, it comes with a resonable light that can grow softies and possibly acans. The tank is small but amazing with glass way thicker than it needs to be but it gives it a nice sturdy and well made feel. The tank it self comes with a 40gph hob filter which I swapped for a small canister filter I had for extra water volume and flow, but I have heard of a lot of people doing the modified ac70 refugium said on them.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my Pico, great advice Larry.

Ya I really liked my picotope I did end up switching to LED lighting on it because I liked the control and I really hate changing bulbs. The canister was on it largely because I had it lying around.

post-4015-0-03861200-1439829795_thumb.jp

• Like 1

If I was going to use this at work, what kind of top-off would you use for over the weekend?

I never really found a great way to top off the picotope your best bet in my opinion would be to stay away from float switches because they take up to much room. I just made an optical sensor for my ten gallon but shortly after I ordered they doubled the cost of the sensor I used so now it is just as expensive as buying an ato. One thing to consider with a pico or nano is to get a really small pump to use because it is possible to pump water in to a small tank faster than the system can react.

yeah i suppose I could use a light timer and turn a dosing pump (1.1ml/min) to come on and off throughout the day for a small interval of time. It won't keep it perfect, but would do for a weekend and shouldn't be all that expensive.

yeah i suppose I could use a light timer and turn a dosing pump (1.1ml/min) to come on and off throughout the day for a small interval of time. It won't keep it perfect, but would do for a weekend and shouldn't be all that expensive.

That would be an option, my picotope was pretty constant so I would on weekend trips just top off an extra amount before the trip so the salinity did not spike to much. The hydor ato does not look like it takes up much room but I don't know if it is suitable for a pico, I have looked at the autoaqua smart ato because it was an optical system that looked through the side of the tank but it is a bit more expensive and I don't know how stable it is.

I use my Apex with a 50ml/min doing pump as an ATO on my main DT. Works great. I've got it dialed in to almost exactly the water used each day. Should never have a problem with flooding unless the relay on the energy bar sticks. Don't want to spend that much dough on a pico though.