Tanakas Pygy Wrasse

tennisjad3

I picked up one of these sold as a regular Possum Wrasse (talk about a nice discount) a few days ago, but I haven't seen him out yet? I bought a candy striped hogfish with him who is all over the place, but I've only seen the reasse poke out a few times at most. Anyone have any expierence with this breed?

I'm just hoping he manages to get himself some food, I really like the little guy

I have read that this species of pigmy wrasse is very illusive. I have thought about getting one myself and probably would have if I came across one at the LFS. I have a yellow band that is very social though not nearly as pretty as the Tanakas.

Curious to know how you were able to positively identify it. They look so similar http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/tanakas-pygmy-wrasse-vs-white-banded-possum-wrasse-173507.html

It didn't have the extra stripes on its face, so I figured that was the difference. Also his tail is lighter too

Edited by tennisjad3

My 6 line went missing for a week one time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read that this species of pigmy wrasse is very illusive. I have thought about getting one myself and probably would have if I came across one at the LFS. I have a yellow band that is very social though not nearly as pretty as the Tanakas.

Thats good to know, he's popping out every hour or so, but darts back in the rocks

I have had one. They are very elusive. They tolerate no bullying. When they get comfortable they will glide in and out of the rock work all day. If your tank is mature he will be fine until he starts eating frozen. Mine would eat krill, brine and rods food. Never got it to eat pellets.

I put a Pygmy possum wrasse (similar) into my tank months ago and never saw it again. Went into the rocks to never return. It was less than 1". For all I know it could still be alive