ID This sps

reeflover

Just picked up this from the Dome. Not sure what it is, pearlberry perhaps but...Thanks

nope. Might be a similar species but it is not a pearlberry.

Rant start:

So that is a wild caught colony. Please do not try and ID it to a named coral. Named corals (*Most*) have been in captivity for many years and successfully kept by reef keepers alike. The success is why it gets the name. Comparing a wild harvested colony to a captive grown coral is a bad practise as that wild acro is not proven in captivity. Now if it is the same species with similar colorations you can call it a pearlberry-like acro but please do not call it a pearlberry.

Rant end:

The blue wash out makes it difficult to ID the coral. What color is it? I'm trying to recognize the growing structure of the coral skeleton, but it's a bit difficult at this moment. Can you get a photo with more white light on it?

Is anyone else a bit surprised Ty hasn't jumped on this with a link to Bali mariculture yet?

I'm not an expert, but I haven't had any luck identifying until the 2 month mark. At best I've call tell the difference between family types, but not proper names, if any exist. It's also hard to determine coloration under the smurf light.

Color is definitely one of the easiest ways to identify a coral, but sometimes the most accurate identification of coral taxonomy is based on the structure of the skeletal growth, which is what I've been going off of when trying to identify it. What is the growth pattern of the branches (stubby, long and thin, bottle brush, long branches, thick branches, bushy)? How far apart are the corallites and what are their shapes and sizes? What is the shape and size of the tips of the branches? There can be different species of corals that have very similar colors, but their skeletal structure will be different. That's why I think it's easiest in the beginning to identify the coral based on it's skeletal growth when colors are still changing.

Could also be A. plana Still very difficult to determine with the first photo.. We can always throw up our hands and call it a tenuis

lol everything is a tenuis :P A plana has corallites closer to a Grandulosa. Delsawii looks spot on based on coral structure.

Archived