Zoas not happy?

nvrEnuf

So, maybe you've seen my other post about the lights...that post is related to this one.

I have 2 kinds of zoas: those that were in my previous tank and one two frags that weren't.

The two new frags were doing great until I did a 30% water change (I do 25-30% every 3 months or so) on Sunday. The other Zoas weren't happy about the move and the new lights, but that was to be expected and all morphs seemed to have fully recovered though a couple picky morphs I haven't found a sweet spot for. Again, all that not a surprise and really not seeing any receding...just not fully opened/growing.

Back to the two new frags:

first is a large purple polyp that added 2 new polyps over the past 3-4 weeks. It is mounted aprox 8 inches off sand bed in full light. It is current'y fully open but not a full as I am used to seeing it.

Second is a plug of what I beleive to be fire and ice. Opened fully within 1 hr of placement, and added 4-5 polyps in the past 3-4 weeks. it is on sand bed in full light. Currently only 2 of 20 polyps open.

Sunday: 30% water change, nothing unusual after water change

Monday: Purple Zoas 50% open, Fire and ice 33% open

Today: Purple fully open but not normal, Fire and Ice 20% open.

Relevant facts:

1.025 Refrac

8.1 PH

1350Mg

415Ca

8.2DKH

^red sea

0 Po -hanna

0 Amonia

0Ni

0Na

^API

I've also brushed up on Coral Pro salt mixing per their youtube instructions and am within the suggested mixing and usuage.

Furthermore, I've put a few pre-new-tank morphs n my biocube (water from DT) and they seem to do better than in the 90.

I can't imagine too much of anything is the issue...flow is not high for a mixed reef (~750GPH on the return and 1500 via circ pumps), and lights are (2) 45%blue, 25%white Ocean revive T247.

The weird part is that this seems to be related (at least in timing) with the water change...I am currently running 12 TDS on the 5 stage 150GPD BRS ro/di....but I've not had issue with this in the past.

Any input appreciated

I'd replace the filters/DI and get back to 0 TDS. Maybe you didn't have any issues in the past but perhaps there has been an accumulation of something you don't test for that is causing it. The theory fits well, especially since you've noted them looking worse after water changes. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Ty get the TDS back to 0 also 30% water change all at once seems like a large amount to me keep in mind I am like Ty with water changes can't remember the last time I did one.

The tank is 90 gallons? If so 30 gallons of new saltwater every months see high to me. Did you notice any diatoms after water change?

lol, I didn't have a bloom when I moved into the tank; Turf scrubbers are awesome. I had shrimp and pods in the fuge within a few days.

I've never not once been able to measure any amonia, Ni or Na since the tank had water in it...moved up from a 46BF.

That's 30 gallons of water per 3 months as well. I've only done one water change since setting up the tank and that was 10 gallons 6 weeks ago. Other than a degree or two of temp, all other params match when I do a water change....it itsn't to remove waste (no issue there, wish I had more!) it is solely to replace trace elements.

I can't imagine an increase in trace would cause them to be displeased.

It seems to be some sort of cycle because now the Fire and Ice Zoas originally pissed on day 1 are now opening, and those that didn't close until day 2 are still closed.

All other Zoas seem to have returned to normal, emergency might be over; I'll see what tomorrow brings. Just odd as this is the forst time I've seen this kind of behavior.

The only other thing I've come up with as a possibilty is that I have had a clown goby die recently and never found him to take out of the tank...I suppose it is possible there was a spike I didn't catch...but I put the chances at slim to none and am still blaming something in the RO water that they weren't used to. It would make sense that they are returning to health now that the rest of the tank (Carbon?) has filtered whatever it is they don't like.

You know what, I just re-read my post.

I think I am gonna try to get a bloom out of the tank and see how much food it takes while the stock is minimal.

I should swith this thought to my build thread I guess.

Thanks Haze for the inspiration!

Archived