21st Tank.. >.>

Makena95GT

I may or may not now own 21 aquariums. And I'm totally okay with this because I finally went to Aqua-Dome today! And let me tell you my jaw hit the floor the moment I walked in. Amazing.

But I grabbed the centerpiece to ky latest tank there, a Bar Sword that will hopefully grow out of the top of the tank after I get a new light. The one set on yhere is temporary, same with the heater. I plan to have zero cords going into the tank.

Thw "tank" actually used to be a trophy case I think.. Not too sure but it was given to me because people know ill turn anything into a tank if I can. Its about a gallon in capacity.

I actually used the the CarribSea version of Flourite as a subtrate. Ive never used it before so fingers crossed. The foreground are (im going to try so hard to spell this properly) starouge(sp?) repens.

I wanted it to be able to be viewed from any side and look nice. Its on the kitchen counter so its viewable from at least three sides easily.

The sole inhabitant is this GOEGEOUS female crowntail betta I picked up at work. Shes why I had to get a new tank up ;)

I SWEAR ILL POST PICS WHEN TAPATALK SROPS BEING A BUTT! :D

(I typed alllll this then it was being lame about attaching pics suddenly and dont want to waste all the precious typing I did [emoji14])

Was that you in a Petsmart shirt? I thought I recognized you but I've always seen you in a cap. :-)

Haha yup!!

I literally can hardly recognize anyone but like three members so I never realize who im at a store with [emoji14]

• 3 weeks later...

c34983b7773ffb299f72fd0feb4da97a.jpg

Until i looked at the old pic i didnt realize how quick this bad boy grew. Shaded out my little carpet but thats fine. Looks like ill be trimming some leaves today. Reburnnnnnn where are youuuu!! Lol im not sure where to tackle it. My end goal is to have the leaves grow out of the tank. The mature red leaves already stick out about half an inch. Cut the new green leaves off at the base?

If you want a stalky forest look cut the new leaves at the base.

If you want a full look trim the old leaves at the base.

Use sharp scissors. And get as close to the base as possible.

If it was me I would trim the old leaves except 1 or 2 sticking out of the water.

Just remember to have fun. They will grow back and if you don't like what you did you can always trim different next time. :)

Awesome sauce! Thank you for the info! Ill get to trimming a littler later and update :3

Im used to having a bigger planted tank and just trimming off any runners to replant or things like anacharis that i just clip and replant. Ive never actually "trimmed" a plant to how id like it

I think it looks pretty good.

Sometimes I go through like Jack the Ripper and just cut and cut.

Sometimes I cut one leaf a day and just look at it until I see another one that offends me.

Either method works and when your plants are happy they should be growing fast and you get to trim a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I found under my brothers 180? A 2.5 gallon of course!

Also found some LEDs that I siliconed under the rim of the tank.

They're pretty bright by themselves

8714ff5aed423d3334bc75269c73d2cc.jpg

But I also liked the ghetto LEDs i had on the old tank. So for today while messing around I mocked up a wall mount with airline tubing and thumb tacks. Ill get proper equipment to mount it less ugly tomorrow

a0eedd84c0559eeeb968820f5df819a4.jpg

Just the tank LEDs

7f924c97531cde639f7e4c0a9cf96b84.jpg

All LEDs on

My female betta looks a lot different now too. Almost her whole body is white now and she only has coloring on her tail and dorsal fins -.- but I still love her ha. Ill grab a pic of her after shes moved. Waiting on the new tank to warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

3e514df476425619f28469e55f3c84c2.jpg

Got the sponge filter in today. Thank goodness. Needed some surface disturbance. The water was getting filmy.

Excuse the grossness of the tank. I left the lights on while i was out of town (was in a rush to leave) so we got some filmy algae.

5897ca59faef57999217cc2a84df30ed.jpg

Dwarf Sag also came in. $9 for six bunches. Free shipping. All came in looking good. Trimmed some root and got them in. Im thinking letting them take over the left 2/3 of the tank to provide cover for the shrimp that have been moved. My only male shrimp was dead today and the two females acting really odd so I decided to move them over to the tank with the cleanest water.

d647fbfe164e629fc248b6d396daca29.jpg

4d06266b08dfdc910269a9202ccefe2f.jpg

Ill be giving all my ugly guppies to the turtles/my brother and break down the old shrimp tank. So ill only have three tanks at my house. Aquariums, at least. Still have the hermit crab tank, geckos, rollie pollie breeding tank, my mealworm farm and two dogs lol

Archived