Montiporia Regeneration?

Kaplanm

I've got a Montipora frag that I've finally found a location that it is happy in, when of course my flame angel decided that it now looked like a tasty specimen.

My question is, will the couple of nibbles that the flame angel took out of it regrow, or is that portion of the skeleton permanently dead?

I would imagine it would overgrow the dead portion or if it only killed the upper layer, that it may regrow.

The bigger problem is if it continues to nip at the coral, then it really wouldn't matter as it will probably eventually kill the monti in a tank that size... mainly because it can focus on it and keep nipping away at it instead of spreading it out to other corals.

I don't think it'll be a long term problem. I'd simply reduced my feeding schedule to deal with a Nitrate spike, he doesn't care for being fed every other day. I'm going to see if I can clip some Nori in the tank and if he'll nibble on that over time. He took care of a huge clump of algae over night when he was hungry the first time. Hopefully he'll prefer the Nori to the coral.

I've got a Montipora frag that I've finally found a location that it is happy in, when of course my flame angel decided that it now looked like a tasty specimen.

My question is, will the couple of nibbles that the flame angel took out of it regrow, or is that portion of the skeleton permanently dead?

A "couple of nibbles" shouldn't hurt anything. Has part of the skeleton changed color because of the angel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4cQBCeq30

A "couple of nibbles" shouldn't hurt anything. Has part of the skeleton changed color because of the angel?

The tissue has gone from a healthy green to patches of exposed white skeleton. I don't see any signs of infection though, yet.

Archived