Need advice on some quality lights (LEDs)

YeetPopper

Hi! I'm fixing to grab a pair of these leds by taotronics:

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-AL09-Dimmable-Aquarium-Seaweed/dp/B0092LXQRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421968725&sr=8-1&keywords=taotronics+al09

Does anyone have some suggestions of any other leds you like or your experience with these? My 65 gallon may be done cycling about a week from today (nitrites spiked 2 days ago). Then after I have some quality lights, hopefully I'll be adding a clean-up crew if I time this right.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

I have also been looking into these. My brother just got the programmable one and its very nice. Have not seen any long term results with them yet but would like to hear other reefers comments.

I recently built my own LEDs from a DIY kit from RapidLED. With the solderless kits it was very easy and I was able to customize my light combinations, reflector angles, controller, and power supply. I'm very happy with it. PAR measurements were really strong - I had to turn them down about 20%.

The taotronic is only blue and white and no lens. Old technology. You can get same led in full spectrum from eBay for $100. If you want a name brand oceanrevive or reefbreeder is very good priced just a little higher.

I used the BML lights and I really liked them. I have three 48" lights for sale right now in the hardware section. I am sellingthem to gain full control with my mp40s and my Radions. Plus the wife said I could get new toys so I did.

I have pics posted of them lighting my 180 gallon.

I used the BML lights and I really liked them. I have three 48" lights for sale right now in the hardware section. I am sellingthem to gain full control with my mp40s and my Radions. Plus the wife said I could get new toys so I did.

I have pics posted of them lighting my 180 gallon.

48" lights may be too large for my 65 gallon, I think it's 36" :( Thanks for the feedback on BMLs!

I ran 2 12" 14K and one 24" super ac over my 36" Bow front and loved them.

looking back had I been running the full 36" length in both spectrums and I think my tank would have been just a bit happier; but only at the lowest corners of the tank.

FTS

It was a mixed reef and I think for a SPS heavy tank another 14K light would have been best (though perhaps just another 12-24").

If your tank is deep I would probably run three units (such as a 24" deep 90 gallon tank).

Despite now having 2 channel adjustable Ocean revive units I have to admit I can't quite dial the color quality of the BML's in; you'll love them as almost everyone who has them does.

oh ya,

Just for kicks here is a 90 lit by (3) 12" 14K, and (1) 24" super act.

This is only enough PAR for softies and some LPS long term, but it held the mixed reef over for a month while I saved and waited on shipping.

stand 1-4-15

I think the BML is an outstanding product... For me it just came down to cost. I have a 72" 150g and BML would have been $1200. for 3 strips. I went with OceanRevive and got 3x350w for $400. I can't say a bad thing about 'em... They're fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ordered one 14000k fixture from BML, it should be here in about a week! In the future (my birthday), I may add a super actinic fixture to the tank for more light. I'll be sure to post my honest thoughts on this thread after I have used the lights. crab.gifcrab.gifcrab.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 14000k fixture for 2 days now and it's amazing. I didn't expect it to be so bright/blue. In the future I may add a 20000k to supplement it with a dimmer. my camera doesn't do justice, but here's a picture of them

post-3835-0-19949700-1423930168_thumb.jp

Archived