Long Tentacle Plate Coral - Possible to Save?

BornToHula

We have this long tentacle plate coral that somehow got injured and now its flesh is gone from around 1/16 of its body. I'm not sure what initially caused the injury (water parameters have been fine, no other coral are having any issues). The coral was originally positioned on the sand bed in a way that we could not see that it was injured until we noticed several hermit crabs crowded around it. When we saw it was injured we moved it onto the rocks and took the pictures posted below.

Is it still possible to save the piece or is it most likely a goner? If its possible it can recover - any tips on how to keep the hermit crabs away from it? I could move it to the refugium while it recovers, but I only have a 6500K LED flood light down there. Not sure if that would be sufficient.

post-3715-0-55031800-1413917962_thumb.jp

post-3715-0-40587300-1413918007_thumb.jp

I would say it's possible t save, I just had a Scolymia put in my tank to get doctored up. I used a reef dip to kill any sort bacterial degradation. Maybe a dip would help. A Singaporeanangel tang was nomming on it. If you can keep stuff from eating it, it could heal.

Well I just dipped the plate coral and moved it down the refugium for now to keep the hermit crabs away from it. I don't have any good clippers for to cut the exposed skeleton away - I'll have to head to Lowe's tomorrow and try to find some.