Anyone tried Laver for Tangs and other Herbivores?

nuxx

Just wondering if anyone has tried Laver Algae sheets with their tangs or herbivores?

We used to buy Organic Untoasted Nori at Whole Foods, but have noticed our tangs haven't been eating it as much lately. Also noticed that there was a reddish color (dye) coming off of it when pulled out of the tank. I'm not sure if they changed how it's made, but we wanted to find a substitute.

On Saturday we went to check out a few of the larger Asian markets and had a really hard time finding any Nori that wasn't toasted.

At the last stop we found a package of 50 sheets of dried Laver. I'd never heard of it, but it seems very similar to nori, maybe just a different name / region for Nori.

Anyway, we've offered it up to our tangs yesterday and today and it's like crack to them. They just can't seem to leave the stuff alone.

Curious if anyone else has used Laver before and what the long term results were...

Thanks,

-Peter

Never tried Lavar but I've been feeding the toasted variety for a few years now and they eat it up with the same gusto as the dried version.

Sent via Tapatalk

Heard the toasted variety loses a lot of the nutrients. Just hard to find anything dried/un-toasted.

I've heard the same but since I haven't seen solid research on it and my tangs are still looking good and healthy, I will continue with the toasted variety. Occasionally you'll see the dried version at the MT supermarket but it's not consistent.

Sent via Tapatalk

I've heard the same but since I haven't seen solid research on it and my tangs are still looking good and healthy, I will continue with the toasted variety. Occasionally you'll see the dried version at the MT supermarket but it's not consistent.

Sent via Tapatalk

Wondering if the Japanese Market might have a bigger selection. One of my friends goes to one often, asked him to check it out smile.png

But these guys seem to really love the Laver. Actually seeing a bit of possessiveness of the rocks with it rubber banned to it.