GFI PLUG on Tank Circuit Problem

Rjohn

This morning when I got up the tank electricity was completely off. I tried resetting the GFI outlet but the reset button keeps popping out. I hooked the tank to another plug using an extension cord so it is back up and running. Question: can GFI outlets go bad? I am thinking of calling an electrician cause I know practically nothing about this and I am afraid I could not spot a problem if there was one. Suggestions?

I would replace the GFCI immediately with a regular outlet for the fish tank. Pumps or other equipment turning on, especially if they pull a lot of electricity, will trip the GFCI and leave your tank without power. Replace with a regular outlet and use the drip loop to prevent a short.

To answer the question though, yes they can go bad over time.

Edit: We know you do not have a short in a piece of equipment because you plugged everything into another outlet. This proves the GFCI is faulty.

Edited by Nano Reefer Ky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, they go bad.

I had the GFCI outlet running my return pumps go out when I was on vacation in Alaska thumbsdown.gif

Fortunately, I had good house-sitter and my tank was alive when I got home. (Extension cables to the rescue!)