Torch Coral Exploding

Kaplanm

I've a Torch in my tank that's been seemingly healthy for quite some time. Suddenly today its tentacles started retracting, turning dark purple and then bursting leaving behind a series of stringy filaments connected to the base. Is there something that can be done, or is it too late to salvage it and I should pull it before it kills off the whole tank?

I don't know how long your system has been setup but a cycled tank should not really register any ammonia or nitrite. I would assume the nitrite is what's doing the damage and a guess at your phosphate level as a possibility too since you don't know the level in your tank.

I have a pretty dirty tank and my torch is doing amazing. Ik every tank is different. I keep my salinity at 1.024 and I saw urs at 1.027. Idk if theres suchthing as too high or not. Maybe some other people can chime in but its something u could try. Maybe bring it down a couple parts and see how it does

post-1264-0-41804400-1410401497_thumb.jp

1.027 should be fine but I would double-check your salinity with someone else's equipment or the local fish store.

PO4 is a little high too but looks like you are taking care of that with the GFO. I would start with very little GFO and slowly take down the PO4 level over time. Stripping it out too quick will cause issues as well.

The real issue I think still is reading nitrite levels at all. Cycled tanks shouldn't be reading any nitrite.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't have the capabilities for a proper reactor so it's a retrofit into an existing overflow filter.

I've Recalibrated my refractometer just in case. Value is spot on, but I'll take a sample to my LFS to be vetted.

I did a 60% + water change things seem to have perked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk