Jebao WP-40 Wavemaker

Just got my new Jabao Wavemaker in. I am not thrilled about the size of the powerhead, but the unit puts out a torrent of water. The $88 cost on Amazon was worth a try. I have always wanted a fancy Euro one like Votec but have not been able to justify the cost. I can tell you this unit (the newer WP-40) with greater control functions will turn your live rock into a bio filter machine. It blasts out detritus from rocks and cleans out junk that has been stagnant for years. I think the fish like it too the random water flow gives them a new routine and they like swimming against it. Especially this crazy Picasso trigger I have he goes bonkers swimming against the current. Still playing with the control but the knob for thrust duration really helps you fine tune the powerhead so it's not cycling too quickly which just becomes a pulse like a food processor. The W2 function is programed to do a slow ramp up and then a variation of 8 other cycles. Worth a try if you want to give your fish and corals an added boost. I think something like this is almost a must for coral lovers it allows your tank to mimic actual reef conditions your corals have adapted to over millions of years.

After playing with it for awhile the W2 seems to be the best setting. The W1 shuts off and on too fast even when you turn the control knob all the way counterclockwise. To really have waves you need two heads ideally right? I am not sure all my corals are going to be thrilled to have a tsunami in the tank all day. Most are LPS and don't need a lot of flow. However blasting water through the rocks sure clears the water up. Once all the detritus is sucked into the overflow and into the sock in the refugium and skimmer it's gone. And that's what you want!

The flow will mellow out a bit once the pump surfaces build up some biofilm on them. Also, if you get the right frequency you can get a true wave with a single pump. I had one going in my 48" - 90 gallon and decided to stop because the momentum of the water was rather scary and I don't feel like testing the integrity of my silicon. I couldn't even begin to hold my hand stationary trying to work in the tank.

Jebao and makes wave controllers for these but I couldn't imagine running 2 of these in my setup. Another company makes a cool USB one as well: http://www.joejaworski.com/jebao/

Archived