Possible chlorine contamination

Leakytree

When I returned home from swimming I heard the sound anyone in this hobby doesn't want to hear.... The splash splash of water leaving there tank. I ran in to find a power head pointed up and spilling water over the side. There was minimal water that was sucked up by a wet vac. Then while vacuuming up the water it dawned on me, when I reached my arm into the water to move the power head my arm was still covered in the dry remains of chlorine and whatever else they used to clean the pool. I smelled my other arm and I could barely make out any chemical smell, but some was still present. So that leaves me to my questions:

1) do you think I have contained my tank to the point that I should worry? It's a 160g display with a 70g sump. I'm not currently running any carbon because I'm out. I know chlorine evaporates out quickly, but what about any other chemicals?

2) does anyone have any veteran tricks for keeping a suction cup power head in place? I've tried magnets, but I can't find any locally that are strong enough.

Thanks

Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you have a thing at all to worry about as far as contamination. In such a large volume of water, with the minimal chemicals that would have been on your arm after toweling off and then driving home, most likely your tank could not care less. It will take FAR more chlorine and other "stuff" to contaminate your tank.

As far as powerheads, the only thing I have found that stays stuck on my big tanks is Jebao or Vortecs. Tunze wave boxes also seem to stay where I put them. Suction cup powerheads.........suck (or don't suck, as it may be). I've been known to build acrylic brackets that I can ziptie the powerheads to, just to make them stay where I want.

If your really worried about contamination, some activated carbon granules run in a filter sock is by far your best chance besides major water changes. luckily, it's ridiculous surface area is amazing at picking up the larger disassociated cl and any de residue that might have still been on your arms.

That being said, Im with sherita on this one. Youd have to be dumping some powder in to kill anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk