Old Sand and Dry Rock

Veni Vidi Vici

So im getting ready to aquascape my new 120 and I currently have a all the former LR that was in my 125.... YEARS ago, also a 5 gallon bucket of sand that is still wet from my shallow sand bed that was also in my 125..YEARS ago, and I was wondering.
Im going to be cycling my tank here shortly ,is there any reason that I should should wash ,rinse,clean..... either of the two?
I opened up the bucket of sand expecting a wretched smell of death and to my surprise,nothing. Granted i havent stirred it yet,but even so. Is there a reason I shouldnt use it as is?

~Todd

I would use new live sand personally. Rinse out a quart or two and decide if it's clean enough, my guess is there will be a ton of dried detritus that will flush out.

Thanks Tim,

Im not really concerned to much about replacing the sand, its all the pounds of rock. I think its worth the risk vs all the money I would have to re-invest into purchasing new LR. I do plan on adding some additional after my cycle however.

Have you considered just buying several gallons of bleach and cleaning the rocks that way? I've had good results the couple times I've done that. There are tons of threads around about cleaning old waste packed rock before use to help limit phosphate issues. Granted...I tend to always try to save money when I can (without using total crap gear), so I would also rather spend a few hours outside with the hose and some buckets, rinsing old sand free of detritus, than spend $200-300 on new live sand. That's just my frugal nature.

Here is my thinking.... I didnt have a issue with phosphates in my old tank nor algae. My tank was pretty clean to be honest and really not that old,maybe a 1-1/2 years old before I broke it down. Im not afraid of some Po4 if my old rock leaches some ,if it can be overcome with cheatomophora ,phosban/GFO or both. Im gonna have to make a decision lol.......

Its a gamble if I do and ill kick myself if i dont.....

Edited by Veni Vidi Vici