Canopy questions

Leakytree

Hello ARC,

I've ran into bit of a snag on the 180 build. I am currently running 3x250w MH with cheap reflectors similar to these.

vumyra6a.jpg

I wanted to upgrade the lights without increasing energy consumption so I purchased some lumenbrite reflectors from Dave. Anyway, after getting them home I realized that there was no way to fit the new reflectors into my canopy. The canopy has a depth above the water of 8in and the reflectors are 10in. They are also a hair to wide, but I can use a hanger cable to bow the reflector so that's a easy fix. As for the height I have come up with a few options:

1. Stick with cheap reflectors.

2. Sit the reflectors on top of the canopy and cut a hole the diameter of the reflector opening. It will allow for some extra spray protection, but it could hamper light from fully entering into the tank. I would also paint the outside of the reflector black to blend in better. I would also have to mod the top to open differently. It won't look awful, but it's not the clean look I like.

9e7edy7e.jpg

3. Build a new canopy that would contain the entire setup with a full height of 14in. I'm sure I could build it, but I'm afraid it wouldn't have the clean finished look that I would prefer. Any plan suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Buy smaller reflectors. The Hamiltonian are only 5in, but I haven't been able to find any of these used.

uqujepam.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anyone who can build a canopy for a decent price?

Thanks

Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would just cut the hole and put them on top. Those reflectors are amazing, shame not to use them.

If you can get a canopy built for not too much, that would be ideal.

Know anyone in the club who can make one?

There's a picture on the first post showing what it would look like if he cut holes in the existing hood

Yeah i saw that .... If the hood needs to be raised a min of 2" you may be able to achieve that with a simple trim addition with a 2" rise, but I couldnt really give a suggestion from that photo.

How about option 5

Modify the canopy by adding more wood on all 4 sides to raise it higher. Wouldn't it be prettier than cut a hole and dont have to build new one? Off course you have to paint it or stain it to match. It wouldnt be that much to do since you only add few inches of wood to the existing canopy. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not at home or I would post some pics. I considered adding an extra piece at the bottom, however I would be adding almost a foot to the canopy and I'm not sure it would look right. Still looking for someone who can help make a canopy. Not looking for a handout, so hit me with a pm if your interested.

• 1 month later...

I will sell the 78.37" long X 18.25" deep X 7.75" high canopy with the complete 4X5 foot long VHO setup for $150.

Please let me know if you are still interested.

If not, I will progress towards listing it for sale.

Archived