Possible Mantis Shrimp?

Gonzo59

Not so much of an emergency... just didn't know where else it would fit.

I have noticed small holes popping up in the shells of my hermit crabs. The weird thing is that they always correspond in location and size; it obviously bothers them because they switch out of them relatively quickly... any ideas what it could be?

post-3525-0-93746500-1393896070_thumb.jppost-3525-0-56137600-1393896078_thumb.jp

dwarf blue hermits, red hermit, blue neon goby, spot tail blenny, peppermint shrimp. Couldn't be the bigger red hermit because he is currently busy harassing a nassarius for his shell (even though there are plenty that same size for him).

The mantis shrimp only could have come from 1 of two VERY small frag rocks I got from aquadome; although it is unlikely because of the size AND I can't imagine a business like aquadome having mantis shrimp in their frag tank. I got the frags on Saturday though, and since then it has been happening. I don't know what else would cause this though; just trying to stay ahead of the curve if it is some sort of pest so that I can get started on trying to catch it.

p.s. Also got a small 1.5 inch serpent star hitchhiker on one of those frags! grin.png

Alright. Definitely hear it now; previously I could blame the pops on a hermit or snail smashing their shell on the glass but it has gotten louder and I was just woken up by 2 consecutive pops.

I have been researching mantis traps. Has anyone had luck with the coke bottle trap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While waiting for my trap in the mail I was able to capture two mantis shrimp:

1) I saw the hole in the rock that the shrimp was hiding in, I pulled the rock out of the water over an empty plastic bucket. He jumped out of his hole into the bucket. #1 shrimp caught.

2) Next shrimp was more stubborn. I pulled the rock out but he wouldn't leave his hole. So I put the rock in the bucket, filled it with tank water and the shrimp came out and was walking around the bottom of the bucket, pulled the rock and put it back in the tank and #2 shrimp was caught.

I think I might have a 3rd shrimp but not sure, my trap finally arrived so I will be setting it up:

Ultralife Reef ProduCounts AULXTERM X-Terminator Mantis Shrimp Trap by Ultralife

Thankfully I really only have one piece of live rock that the shrimp could be hiding in but it is large and awkward and contains all my frags so it won't be too easy. I haven't seen what hole he is in but I am thinking of just taking the rock out anyway and hoping for the best.

As I am a Goby and Blenny lover, this shrimp has already cost me too much in terms of livestock... Snails and hermits are disposable IMO.

I was looking at that trap online last night; let me know if it works for you.

Alright guys... this is really hard for me to admit.

My so called mantis shrimp "popping noise" was just my new pistol shrimp... I guess I know where they get their name from now.

Alright have at it doh.gif

Gonzo,

I hear ya, I am not sure if what is left in my tank is a mantis or a pistol. I guess they both could be hitchhikers. I am probably going to get some bait tomorrow and see what shows up in the trap.

Archived