Flatworm?

JCAB

So last night I made the mistake of using my iphone light to look at my tank. I saw two large bristle worms (at least 3 inches) which I was surprised by since I have 5 wrasses and something that looked to be about the size of a 50 cent coin, seemed to be oval in shape (it was draping the LR, so a little difficult to tell, but didn't seem long and skinny), translucent with some purple in it (almost looked like coraline) and the edges of the body waived with the current (like a stingray). As soon as the light hit it, it stuck to the side of the LR covering it perfectly (if I hadn't seen it move, I would have never been able to spot it). Did I just describe a flatworm? I've searched on the net and haven't found a picture that looks exactly like the thing I saw. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a good picture and I have the identifying abilities of Ms. Swan. If it is likely a flatworm and I need to get rid of it, does anyone have experience doing so without using chemicals? Thanks!

Do a search for "polyclad flatworm". That's what it sounds like. If it is, you best get it out of your tank!

BTW, big bristleworms are a bit much for even wrasses to handle. As long as they aren't causing problems, just leave them be. They are a good part of your cleanup crew.

If you can determine what rock it is in, then get that rock out of the tank and dried out on your drive way... I had one in my first tank early on. It fed off my snails in the tank. It would only come out in darkness. Be careful not to cut it into pieces as it can regenerate itself if the piece is big enough and then you may get multiple in your tank. I ended up just drying out the large piece he homed in. I actually ended up breaking it into pieces so I can find it and confirm it was dried out and dead, before putting pieces back into my tank.

I had one early on too...couldn't understand why all my snails were dying... I ditched that rock, after confirming it was in there. Then a year later, snails were dying again. Found the rock it was in, ditched it too. These days, no snails have died, though I keep an eye out.

They are predatory, for sure. They will eat snails and crabs, as well as clams. Do not cut them into pieces, you will just wind up with more of them if you do. They are like mushrooms in that respect, LOL.

Spot them at night using a red flashlight, and remove them from the tank. Or remove the rock they live in.

If you see one at night, try turning your pumps off and using a powerhead to "blow" it off the rock. If you can get it into the water column then you can net it out before it can swim back onto the rocks, or hide. Good luck. Use a red light, it can't see that spectrum and won't glom onto the rocks while you are examining it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna trythe last two suggestions before I remove the rock. Removing the LR is almost impossible without causing a collapse of all 150lbs....and of course I have a crocea in there. I'm going to move the clam to the other side of the tank in the hope that the flatworm will not travel too far from its home.

Jose, the pictures I found with that name that have the larger spots look exactly like what I had in my tank. It was about 3 inches long and 2 inches across. Mine was in my 29g Biocube so removing rock and finding its home was much easier than your larger tank will be. Good luck!!!

Thanks, I saw that one. Going to try it tonight. My daughter was given "finger tip lasers" for her birthday (not surgically implanted) and one of them is red, so going to use that tonight and hopefully not scare it away before I can trap it. Explains why my CUC is missing in action! Now to try to move the clam before I have to head out to a wedding. Why do these things never happen at a convenient time? And why don't I ever get the sparkly, frosted rainbow brite rose anemone that does windows as a hitchhiker?!?

If you get one of those sparkly rainbow brite nems let me know where you found it! smile.png

Re: the red light. Hit up Home Depot. They have a headlamp (not a headlight) made by Energizer that has red leds on it. Works GREAT for checking out the tank late at night. Costs $16 bux or so. It's an led flashlight/headlamp on an elastic band, wear it on your head, leaves your hands free to hopefully capture big ugly flatworm. All reefers should own one of these, because at some time you WILL need it.

Thanks, Sherita...I'll try to sneak into Home Depot before the wedding. My tank has RGB's, would putting them on red be the same (no clue why I just now thought of that)?

Any idea if the clam would be safe if I leave the room light on or maybe the blues dimmed as much as possible? I really don't think I'd be able to move the clam today without injuring it - I just got it yesterday and it's already started attaching. I can move the rock it's on, but it doesn't seem to have a complete foothold. Talk about timing.

If I ever find one of those nems, you'll be the first person I contact!

How long will you be gone for this wedding? Just today, all weekend?

Do you have a sump, and is it big enough to hold clammie and his rock? If so, that's what I would do. Otherwise, I would find someone to hold your newfound friend until you can capture big ugly flatworm. You might wind up with a pretty shell to sit on the counter and hold your guest soaps if you underestimate the worm.

I'm sure that eventually your unwanted guest would make his (her?) way into your sump to eat the delectable clam, but it might buy you enough time to evict the squatter. Honestly, if it were my clam, and I really liked it, I would find someone to hold him until you catch ugly.

Just today. Have to leave by 4 and won't be back until midnight. I tried moving the rock the clam is on, and it's definitely attached, but still moving around so I'm worried I will accidentally tear the foot off.

Just today. Have to leave by 4 and won't be back until midnight. I tried moving the rock the clam is on, and it's definitely attached, but still moving around so I'm worried I will accidentally tear the foot off.

If it's only that long, leave your tank lights on, just turn the whites down a little. Worm won't come out while it's light, and since it's not that long, I would just leave the tank lights on with the whites turned down a little (but not dark!). Ugly won't come out into the light, which will leave clammie safe until you get home and can either move him and his rock to the sump, or evict the worm.

If it's only that long, leave your tank lights on, just turn the whites down a little. Worm won't come out while it's light, and since it's not that long, I would just leave the tank lights on with the whites turned down a little (but not dark!). Ugly won't come out into the light, which will leave clammie safe until you get home and can either move him and his rock to the sump, or evict the worm.

I use the same tactic with the cucuy and the boogieman at night.

Archived