I have a new sump! Now I need a new pump.

KarenM

Craig is the nicest guy ever. :D Not only did he sell me his custom made sump that he constructed himself, but he installed it for me, too. Even rerouted all my plumbing to make everything fit. It looks fantastic (will post some pics later) and the bubble-trap is working perfectly. The skimmer is now in the sump, and there's not one single bubble on that side. The skimmer is even working better now that he re-plumbed it. If you need a new sump, get with Craig. :)

But I've still got the bubbles shooting out of the return nozzle thingies. :lol: I guess that leaves only the return pump and the piping that could be causing the bubbles. I know I don't have what would be considered a "good" system (it's an older PM skimmer and Little Giant pumps) but I can't afford to replace everything at once. If I replace the return pump next, does it have to be the same kind (brand, etc) as what I have now?

The pump may be cavitating. Do you have a ball or gate valve on the return side of the pump? If so adjust, to reduce flow and that should remove the bubbles. Either that or air is getting into the return lines? Do you have an siphon holes drilled in the return nozzles? If so, where, that may be a source of air depending on where you drilled them (just at water line, etc.)

Lee

Edited by SoonerFan

There's a gate valve, but if I slow down the flow there are just fewer bubbles. Craig and a I are thinking it might be old, worn out locklines that are letting air in between the segments. I want to take them off so I can try something else temporarily, but they're glued on. I don't think there are siphon holes, but I could be wrong.

The pump may be cavitating. Do you have a ball or gate valve on the return side of the pump? If so adjust, to reduce flow and that should remove the bubbles. Either that or air is getting into the return lines? Do you have an siphon holes drilled in the return nozzles? If so, where, that may be a source of air depending on where you drilled them (just at water line, etc.)

Lee

You could always redo the return plumbing with a simple PVC setup to rule out that part of the equation. It would cost you maybe $10 (at the most) to do. I probably have enough PVC in my garage to build it for you and it wouldn't cost a dime. I still need to bring that ballast over as well. Man I am a slacker. :P

OK, so I took one of the black loclines off, which left a threaded end. I had a piece of tubing that just fit over that threaded end. I put the tubing on and adjusted it so that all the air was out of it. Still bubbles. So I opened the valve wide open. The bubbles decreased slightly, but they're still there. I held a flashlight up to the clear tubing leading from the pump. I saw bubbles there with the old sump, but I don't see bubbles there now. That tube tees off to the clear tubes that lead back up into the overflow boxes. No bubbles in those tube, and neither is leaking at the connection to the tee or to the overflow boxes. That leaves only the pipes that come from the bottom of the overflow boxes up to the locklines. Most of that is underwater, except for at the top of the pipes there are 3/4" 90s, 3/4" threaded couplings, and the loclines. I removed the locline on the right, so the only possible place for air to be entering is the 2 sides of the 3/4" 90. Right?

You could always redo the return plumbing with a simple PVC setup to rule out that part of the equation. It would cost you maybe $10 (at the most) to do. I probably have enough PVC in my garage to build it for you and it wouldn't cost a dime. I still need to bring that ballast over as well. Man I am a slacker. :P

So you're saying I should remove all the tubing and clamps and use PVC pipe and fittings? That would probably be better.

Your siphon break holes might be sucking air. Assuming you have siphon break holes. The way to remedy that would be bring the water level up to cover them. If that is possible of course. If not you can fill them and make news ones. If your sump can take the extra water when the power goes off. You know the drill.