Drums in a gym

etannert

If anyone's looking for something fun and different to do on a Saturday morning, there will be an indoor drumline/winter color guard show at Cedar Park High School tomorrow, 2/1, beginning at 9am. The percussion portion of the contest runs from 9-12:30, and the color guard part starts around 1 and goes until 8 or 9.

I have two groups competing. My middle schoolers play right at 9 and my high schoolers play at 11.

If you're not familiar with indoor drumline - first, no it is not like Drumline the movie! Indoor drumline takes the same percussion instruments you'd see at a Friday night football game and moves them inside to a basketball gym. No horn players or woodwinds - just percussionists - but complete with costumes and a custom designed set. This activity combines the best of music and theater for a really creative, engaging result that is pretty amazing to watch!

Winter guard is much the same thing, but with spinning flags, rifles and sabres.

This is definitely a family-friendly activity. I would suggest earplugs for little ones (and those with sensitive ears) because it is, after all, drums in a gym.

If you can't make it this weekend, we'll be competing again next Saturday, Feb. 8, at Leander HS. Color guard in the morning and afternoon, and percussion in the evening.

For more information on these TCGC events, visit www.texascolorguardcircuit.org.

Archived