CF Lighting Choices

JamesL

It is time for me to order replacement compact fluorescent bulbs for my 24g Aquapod ... and I was about to order my standard selection of

one 32w Dual Daylight 6700ºK/10000ºK and one 32w Dual Actinic 420/460nm.

But I was wondering if I would get any benefit in ordering a 32w Dual Daylight 6700ºK/10000ºK and Daylight 10000ºK/Actinic 460nm combination instead.

From my understanding, the Actinic bulbs are more for show to help things "glow". But if I am wrong on this, maybe someone could speak up. If not, it would seem the critters be happier with more daylight...

The tank contains Zoas and LPS for the corals.

Thanks.

Well, in doing some research, I found an interesting table someone put up on Nano-Reef:

6500k = most growth, but also equals butt ugly.

10k = good growth, better color

14k = marginal growth, much better color

20k = even less growth, but very awesome color

Though, there is some controversy on 6500k causing more algae growth.... the 6500k is also a more yellow light compared to the 10000K.

This doesn't quite answer my original question concerning actinics. But I did find some info saying 420nm actinic is what causes the corals their glowing "pop". I found some bulbs on Marine Depot which I am thinking about getting. They have a pure 10000K bulb, and then they also have a 10000k/420nm actinic bulb.