TDS meter

classclownfish

This is probably the best one going for a reasonable price. http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/com100.html The big question is what are you using it for? If you just want a alarm to let you know your RO output PPM is going up and it is time to change to filters, any of the inline filters will do. They are not very accurate in scientific terms (+/- 1ppm in most cases), but honestly are you shooting for true zero PPM water? I would be happy with 5ppm or better, so any of the inline meters are fine IMO, but if you want super accurate look at the Com100 or similar.

Once my TDS readings hit 1ppm I order new DI. Am I wasting my money? What does everyone consider a safe ppm for TDS?

I don't think you are wasting your money. Look at it this way. Using pure water (or less than 1ppm for sake of argument) is not going to hurt your tank one bit, while using less pure water MAY have some negative effects. It just depends on what is in the water. So you could use less pure water, but you have a lot less to worry about by using the good stuff. :D That is pretty much true for the water you drink as well IMO.

For what it's worth, I am using the RO water from the machine at HEB and RO/Di from RCA. I really have no idea how pure either is since I don't have a meter. :(

I feel happy as long as my TDS is below 5ppm on the output side of my RO/DI unit. I double checked my inline meter with one of the handheld meters and it is within 1 both +/-. Rich, you don't even want to know the ppm of the water from HEB around here.. I was like holy crap, my tap water is almost as clean as their water as well as WalMarts.

This is purely for my RODI system so +/- 1ppm isn't bad. I had read some place the handheld ones were better since they were protable though I saw the inlines will measure line from my source and the output so I can gauge the PPM of my RODI water but it will also give me a ncie baseline for the PPM prior to it be filtered.

This is probably the best one going for a reasonable price. http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/com100.html The big question is what are you using it for? If you just want a alarm to let you know your RO output PPM is going up and it is time to change to filters, any of the inline filters will do. They are not very accurate in scientific terms (+/- 1ppm in most cases), but honestly are you shooting for true zero PPM water? I would be happy with 5ppm or better, so any of the inline meters are fine IMO, but if you want super accurate look at the Com100 or similar.