JBJ 12 Gallon Nano Cube

mraeric

Hi all,

I have access to a JBJ 12 Gallon Nano Cube for basically free. My question:

Is this system at least 'ok' for keeping literally one saltwater fish (that would be size appropriate for the tank), some live rock, and maybe one or two of the hardier/more adaptable corals? I am absolutely not wanting to put too much into this tank, but wasn't sure if anyone would even recommend this brand tank/system for reef saltwater use in ANY capacity. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

-Eric

Sure. Plenty of folks start out with small AIO tanks because they are an inexpensive entry into the hobby. I started out with a Biocube 14 and was able to maintain 3 fish and decent selection of easy coral (GSP, Kenya trees, various zoas, frogspawn, mushrooms, etc.) in it for more than a year before I upgraded. The only caveat is that sometimes it's harder to get PC bulbs locally, so you have to plan ahead for bulb changes. Other than that, go for it! Do some research on Nano-Reef and you will see plenty of good examples after which to model yourself.

Excellent. Thank you etannert.

I've been reading about reef-keeping for a few years now. Conscientious Marine Aquarist/Natural Reef Aquariums.. etc. I feel like I've almost done as much pre-learning as is realistic. I think I'm going to get the tank and then take my time planning out how to proceed and what I want in it and all that good stuff. Thank you for the info sir/maam!

Ran a nanocube for 5 years with PC bulbs and simple water changes. I almost liked my old nanocube more than the current system... I said almost. :-)

Etannert has some good advice. Nanoreefs.com was my hangout spot for all the good nano ideas back when I ran an AIO.

Archived