dream tank is a GO! need advice

GrimReefer

I was in this hobby a while until I moved in the winter and my ac/dc converter for my heaters during transportation went out and lost my reef and fish. So I turned my 120 into a predator tank. About 5 months ago I bought an innovative marine 38 gallon but miss having a big reef.

So after getting the aproval from the wife its time ti get started. I have been trying to look online and get prices but cant find anything after days off looking.

What im wanting is a 36x36x30 168 gallon with 1 corner overflow with custom order holes drilled for me. Want either rimless are euro brace to help keep water in while im cleaning the glass. Any info on the tank I want would help. I work away from home have looked but cant find anything. Thanks

Is there a reason you chose those dimension? www.glasscages.com makes a rimless 190g wide 48x36x24. My 180g and my 150g are 31" tall and I find it difficult to work with. I have to use a 3-step ladder to do anything in the tank. My arms can't reach the bottom of the tank, so if a frag drops then I have to bust out the claw. The taller tank does look good, but if I had to do it again then I would probably go 24".

On the stand, go with a tall stand. Mine is 29" and I love it. You won't be disappointed.

I recently got a quote for LEDs for a 150g and was told three 48" fixtures is what I would need to keep SPS.

I recently saw a cube that a fellow member has and fell in love with it...even though I'm breaking down my tank right now, I am planning on setting up a cube soon

Is there a reason you chose those dimension? www.glasscages.com makes a rimless 190g wide 48x36x24.

I only see a 24x24x24...am I looking in the right place?

Sascha brings up a great point about the height. Gravity demands that all freshly mounted frags take a least one journey to the sandy bottom. For my DT I measured my armpit to my finger tips and added an inch for the sandbed.

If you want a quality custom tank I would recommend PM'ing Mark Callahan (Mr. Saltwater Tank) and he can get you a quote including delivery from Dutch Aquarium Systems. They built my 225g display to my specs with beautiful craftsmanship. I was so pleased that when I decided to build my 125g (6'x3'x1.5')rimless frag tank it was a no brainer for me to use DAS again. BTW, its DAS not to be confused with DSA, OK? (I too like BBQ and all acronyms.)

I recently saw a cube that a fellow member has and fell in love with it...even though I'm breaking down my tank right now, I am planning on setting up a cube soon

Is there a reason you chose those dimension? www.glasscages.com makes a rimless 190g wide 48x36x24.

I only see a 24x24x24...am I looking in the right place?

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=46

4th one up from the bottom.

Never thought about the height being an issue until now thanks for reminding me about falling frags. Those glasscages aquariums are alot cheaper than I was expecting are they made good or just thrown together

Never thought about the height being an issue until now thanks for reminding me about falling frags. Those glasscages aquariums are alot cheaper than I was expecting are they made good or just thrown together

Let's just say when I did my due diligence for my tanks I found much more favorable information on other manufacturers. If you think about it, your dream tank's seams, bracing, quality of construction is responsible for thousands of dollars of coral, fish, and live rock. To me, its not worth saving a couple of hundred bucks to risk all of that.

I've never had a Glasscages tank, but in all my years of reefing I've never heard(read) of one failing. All the complaining I've heard has been about somewhat sloppy seams and less than stellar customer service.

Just playing devils advocate.

I'd go with DSA or DAS personally, but if money is an issue...I think GC is a reasonable option.

Well I got my quote from miracles aquariums. Built with starfire sides there custom external overflow with 3 drains and 2 returns. I have seen a couple of there tanks online and like the way there external overflow system looks. Has anyone on here had a miracles tank to give me a review before I order this expensive beast

u can if you want always build your own tank, it makes you feel really special when its done and you can make it however you want to. That's what I did almost 3 years ago builing my 60x30x27 200g external overflow. Knowing what I do now I might have made the overflow a little deeper but all in all it works just fine and I built the tank for just under $1k. Big saving in the grand scheme of things. The 1st tank I owned was a 120G from Glasscages and it was a great tank, the seams were fine to me. once you get grave/sand in the bottom you don't really notice them. And they are built like a tank with euro bracing in the bottom and top. They are however heavy, but that goes away once set on the stand in the place where you want the tank. Best of luck, and maybe I opened the door to a new tank build...

u can if you want always build your own tank, it makes you feel really special when its done and you can make it however you want to. That's what I did almost 3 years ago builing my 60x30x27 200g external overflow. Knowing what I do now I might have made the overflow a little deeper but all in all it works just fine and I built the tank for just under $1k. Big saving in the grand scheme of things. The 1st tank I owned was a 120G from Glasscages and it was a great tank, the seams were fine to me. once you get grave/sand in the bottom you don't really notice them. And they are built like a tank with euro bracing in the bottom and top. They are however heavy, but that goes away once set on the stand in the place where you want the tank. Best of luck, and maybe I opened the door to a new tank build...

Not to hi-jack but I have actually been thinking about building my next tank...the picture he posted of the external overflow really got the gears going...I REALLY like that route

Archived