Leopard Warsse

dapettit

We've had are leopard wrasse for over a month now. He was swimming all the around the tank and just enjoying the life in his new home. He's been eating like a hog. We’ve been serving him a variety of frozen foods along with some pellets and articpods. The last couple of days he has been hiding under the rocks kinda lethargic. Last night he was up by our power heads sucking air. Also he has stopped eating.

He is in a 15o with Fox Face. I haven't tested water prams as we noticed the air sucking last night. Do I have anything to worry about or is he just being a wrasse?

TYIA,

Dave-

That or being picked on by another fish or stung by a coral. Situation like this, I go to Aquatek and get live brine shrimp to engourage feeding.

-Joseph

Robin is at home today. She is keeping a close eye on the Fox Face and leopard. Might pick up some live brine tonight.

Dave-

Fox Face is becoming the boss of the tank. I think will catch him today and move him to the fuge for a day or so. He's been the only fish in the tank for several weeks. I tried getting him to eat using some live brine. He perks up but dosen't eat. He just lays on his side breathing heavily! All the other inverts and corals are doing fine.

Here are my parms: I think my SG and salinity are on the high side. I also calculated in the temp difference.

Temp 89.8

pH 8.2

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Ammonia 10

Phosphate 0

dKH 8

KH 143.2

Cal 440

Mg 1100 (low)

SG 1.0256

Salinity 34

I just looked a the pams I typed. :) No wonder everone is getting excited about my ammonia, I WOULD TOO if it was 10.

Ammonia is 0

OK - sorry we got on your case about the ammonia . - We wondered if the ammonia was really 10 - I don't think I know

of a test kit that will even read that high.. :)

The gasping for air would be either symptomatically suffocating or just plain scared to death

of something.

Could it be the foxface is just harrassing him to the point where he is wanting to

"get out of the tank" ?

We did own a foxface early-on (1st year) in our reef life. (about 2003 or so I think) and we really liked him..BUT

he did turn the tank into a nervous wreck with his constant full bore dashes from end to end and it got to the point

where acclimating any newcomers was really impossible with his antics.

I would guess something had been attacking it while it was sleeping. Wrasses are known for laying on their side or jumping out of the water when stressed. Next time you can put a stressed fish in the fuge because if it wasn't the foxface causing trouble then you left the wrasse in the main tank with the problem.

I would guess something had been attacking it while it was sleeping. Wrasses are known for laying on their side or jumping out of the water when stressed. Next time you can put a stressed fish in the fuge because if it wasn't the foxface causing trouble then you left the wrasse in the main tank with the problem.

We never saw him lying on the sand until the day he died. He would make circles around the aquascape like it was the Indy 500. At night or whenever he felt like it he would dive into the sand. He also ate like a horse! The fox face was about 5" and very bossy. We was the only fish in the tank for several weeks. He would hover over the wrasse and flair his spiky fins at him. I belive the foxface harrassed him to death. I only had snails and hermits and have not heard the clicking tell-tell sound of any mantis.

The tank has been set up since Thanksgiving. We used sand and a liitle water from our existing tank to seed the new tank. I have tested everyday the first month to make sure it cycled and had my test confirmed by an LFS. My stonies, softies and zoas are doing fine.

Ahh, I'm sorry for your loss. You never know, he could have had something else wrong.

Thanks,

Robin is very upset. We hope to get another one once thing settle down.

Dave-

Edited by dapettit