"Waving Hand" frags

jwallacemc

Like a dufus noob, I bought two frags of the "waving hand" variety (xenia? anthelia?). They're already throwing polyps all over my tank. EEK!

I'd like someone to take these on for me.

I spent $40 on them, but will take the hit and learn the lesson. Sigh. Besides, it looks like I'll have some more in a few weeks whether I want them or not.

I'll be out of pocket tomorrow for the holiday, but could be available Friday or Saturday for a pick-up.

Thanks in advance to whoever bails me out of this newcomer's debacle.

PM me

post-3358-0-33090700-1385584252_thumb.jp

They're nice corals if you put them on an island. Put them on a rock all by themselves, not attached to any other rocks. They seldom spread to the sand and they shouldn't detach or release freefloating polyps like leathers do.

I've kept Xenia in every tank I've had for the last 12 years and never had them randomly spread to all corners of the tank.

Have you guys tried PMing him? Typically how it goes down with sale threads. When you PM them, it sends an email to the person. Higher chances of being seen, otherwise you have to wait until they check the thread again. Hope it helps.

Hey guys,

Both frags are pending. Jeeper is correct; PM works much better.

Sascha,

Thanks for the input. I have them away from the rocks already, but there's not a lot of room to create an "island", as I'm running a Nuvo 16 (small, narrow display area). I've already seen a couple of new polyps spring up. With such a small space, I fear total takeover and have heard that they can be hard to keep back once they spread.

Xenia is pretty easy to remove if you find anymore and you don't want them. Personally I would give them away before I killed them.

Cut the base of the coral to remove it from the rock. At this point you can attach this polyp to a frag plug or rock and have a new coral or just throw it out. Once the coral is cut, then you can scrape the remaining nub from the rock with a wire brush to remove. You can leave the nub there after you cut it but there is a small chance the coral will grow back. There are obviously more drastic ways of removal, but this method will cause the least harm to your tank.

You can also look up any method for removing aiptasia and those will work on xenia as well. The only one that won't work is the Copperband Butterfly and the Peppermint Shrimp. Other butterflies will eat them, but not the CBB.

Archived