austinaquarium??

versace

Versace,

Austin Aquariums became (was bought out by?) Austin Aquatic Innovations. Both stores are closed and no longer there.

I did notice one of their saltwater multi-tank setups over at Deep Blue aquariums the other day.

Yeah that store seems to have a habit of owners who just walk away. The last time the owner of the building called one of the LFS's to come clean the place out. LFS is definately a tough business to keep going. I think you have to really enjoy it to keep it going.

Well they didn't quite "walk away". When they relaized they couldn't maintain the rent at the place they sent out an email to most of their customers and even posted signs when a week or two before they were planning to close shop and had a HUGE clearance sale. If I recall they were liquidating everything at like 50-75% off. The owenrs were talking about possibly reopening at a place with a slightly cheaper over head. That location was cursed I think ^_^ In the three years I have lived here, that location is the only LFS I've shopped at. First while it was owned as Austin Aqarium and then when the new owenrs bought and (Austin Aquatic Innovations). They had some great people working there, but a crummy location (though I liked it since it was only 10 mins from my house).

Yeah that store seems to have a habit of owners who just walk away. The last time the owner of the building called one of the LFS's to come clean the place out. LFS is definately a tough business to keep going. I think you have to really enjoy it to keep it going.

I don't doubt it :D It was the first store I found when I moved here and I always had a good experience dealing with both sets of owners so never had a real need to try other stores until now. Though I also just found this site, so until recently I only really knew of that location and Aquatek (though have only been in Aquatek once).

Then you are missing out. There are some great stores here.

Well they didn't quite "walk away".

From what I heard they failed to pay the rent at the end and left everything in place that they couldn't carry away, which is what I meant by walking away. My coworker who works for another LFS helped clean the place out for the building owner. I got some nice live rock out of the deal for free. :D

You referring to Austin Aqarium or Austin Aquatic Innovations? I think I recall a notice from the landlord after Austin Aqarium was selling things. I was there the last day it was open a couple of months ago with AAI and I'm pretty sure there was no live rock left (it had all been sold during their clearance sale). So it sounds like you are describing the firs tthe that location shut it's doors, not the final time under the second owner.

From what I heard they failed to pay the rent at the end and left everything in place that they couldn't carry away, which is what I meant by walking away. My coworker who works for another LFS helped clean the place out for the building owner. I got some nice live rock out of the deal for free. :D

The rock came out of AAI's tank. It doesn't really matter to me. I was just pointing out that the location seems to be cursed and has lots of bad history.

Im going to agree w/ you also, that was a very bad location and bad history...the second owner had a problem on her hands when she decided to take over it. It like a pet shop in lakeway...its been going for awhile but is in its 3rd ownership and allways had a bad name. I give it to the last owner he was doing saltwater, freshwater, furry lil animals and repitiles and even took a big step and ventured into selling dogs and cats. A couple days ago I called them up to see what there salt water stock was and sure enough he said he was closing his doors, he sold the lot. Im going to head out there later today to see if any of his LARGE fish tanks are going to be on sale or if he taking them w/ him. Flippers Pets is what the place was called.

Im going to agree w/ you also, that was a very bad location and bad history...the second owner had a problem on her hands when she decided to take over it. It like a pet shop in lakeway...its been going for awhile but is in its 3rd ownership and allways had a bad name. I give it to the last owner he was doing saltwater, freshwater, furry lil animals and repitiles and even took a big step and ventured into selling dogs and cats. A couple days ago I called them up to see what there salt water stock was and sure enough he said he was closing his doors, he sold the lot. Im going to head out there later today to see if any of his LARGE fish tanks are going to be on sale or if he taking them w/ him. Flippers Pets is what the place was called.

From what I understand, the owner skipped town with the cash and some critters, he left some dogs and like behind and will be charged with cruelty. Sounds like you are just a bit late!!

Lee

From what I understand, the owner skipped town with the cash and some critters, he left some dogs and like behind and will be charged with cruelty. Sounds like you are just a bit late!!

Lee

Wow im watching the news article online...I can't believe Terry would do something like that, he better have a **** good explation.

Edited by Lurker