Connecting to the interwebs

So as I'm doing research and planning to possibly get an Aquacontroller Jr. around the new year, I came across the way that is connects to the internet is via the little phone jack port. But the issue with that is, my tank is at a high school.. and the only one of those is literally as far to the other side of the room as it can possibly be LOL

So am I going to be stuck running a ridiculously long cord across the room, probably taped to the floor? Or is there a controller that also has these internet capabilities that is cheap-ish (less than $200) and I wont be running a cord all over the room.

I take that back. It plugs into the router. oh geeze. IDK where that even is at the school lol

Well, wait.. is the base unit a separate piece? goodness now im lost.

I just realized my price range may be a little on the hella cheap side.. but im open to options so I can at least get in some research and save up for something better.

I would save up and get a apex light you usually can find one on reef central for around $300. And you would need a gaming adapter or a bridge adaptor to run it wireless and also the fact that you will be hooking it up into a school network is prob not going to work due to the security's and will they let you access the router?

Well the network at the school has multiple options. Such as a guest WiFi. That's the WiFi I connect my phone and laptop to. I'm sure if I asked and talked to the electrician dude, they might let me. Especially if I could make it so anyone around the school could walk by one of the screens in the hall and see the status of the tank. I think they'd like that

Well the network at the school has multiple options. Such as a guest WiFi. That's the WiFi I connect my phone and laptop to. I'm sure if I asked and talked to the electrician dude, they might let me. Especially if I could make it so anyone around the school could walk by one of the screens in the hall and see the status of the tank. I think they'd like that

Its not so much that you can access the outside from the inside, like you're doing when youre browsing the internet via wifi, but would rather be your ability to access the inside from the outside, which is something that school type networks are not set up to allow, for security reasons. You may be better off money wise with, you know, an aquacontroller jr that doesnt have access anyway and save some scratch :)

Archived