What Type of Crab is this?

prettyfishy76

There is a black crab hitchhiker that has been in my 29g Nano Cube since Nov. 2012. He has grown a lot since then. When he waves his claws at you, he stretches to about 2.5 to 3 inches. Some of my coral frags have been messed with (I have to put them in a cage for protection) and a small Squamosa clam mantle damaged (led to its death). I am thinking this crab is the guilty party. Can anyone tell me what type of crab he might be?

post-2976-137554695277_thumb.jpg

post-2976-137554696415_thumb.jpg

post-2976-137554697677_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

gorilla crab?

I personally caught a large emerald attacking one of my clams, I banished him to the sump and the clam recovered.

P.S there is now a forum for I.D threads to go into.

I posted from my TapaTalk application on my phone and didn't see it. I thought it had existed, but it didn't show up for me. I see that it has been moved over. Thank you for that!

Look closely at the claws. If it's a gorilla crab it will have points at the ends. If it has flat spoonlike tips it's primarily a herbavore and most likely a Mithrax species.

I agree with Tim. I have a crab that looks similar and I tried to remove it for months. Then one day I saw it pulling algae off a rock. It's blue and covered in hair. It had little paddles on the tip of each claw. Yours how ever, has one claw that looks mean and the other I can't tell. If in doubt, throw it in your sump. See what it does there.

I appreciate all of the responses. From the sound of it, no matter what this guy is, it's probably best to remove him from the DT. I have a peppermint shrimp I want to evict, as well as a blue devil damselfish, so I'll probably remove some rock and catch all three at once this evening.

Archived