Dual PFO 250W ballast problem

dapettit

I know it's Christmas day. . .

I have noticed that the light color output on the right side of the tank is much yellower than the left side. I switched the bulbs and it seems to be even yellower. I have not been able to switch the connections to the ballast (hard to get to). I'm running XM 250W mogul base 10K bulbs which are know for being bright white. Does this sound like a ballast problem?

Dave-

I took the ballast off the RK2 and plugged it directly into the wall. 30 minutes later the bulb one the left went black. Replaced it with bulb from the right side and it glows yellow. the light inputs were switch the night before and bulb was bright white. I will be pulling the base off and double checking the wiring.

After all the troubleshooting it looks like its the mogul base. It's either crosswired or just plain bad. How do I know your ask? I removed the bases from both reflectors and put the know good on the side I was having problems. Screwed in the bulb, connected the cable to the suspect input on the ballast, powered the ballast on and presto changeo we have white light. Since my eyes are really bad I'll check the suspect base in the morning.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep everyone posted. . . :D

Ok here is the weird thing. We have the halides set up so that the left side comes on first then the right side 30 minutes later. We have it set to do the same when they go off, left then right. We noticed last night, when the left side turned off the right side lost its yellow tint and brightened up. I think with all the electronics connected to the RK2 we might be puling more than 15 amps total. I will be ordering the expansion today.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

I ordered the expansion for the RK2 (back ordered for 3 weeks). I was talking with a Joseph about the situation and he loaned me a a Reeflux 14k. Low and behold it worked correctly. I spoke with the folks I bought the bulb from and my replacement will be here Friday. Problem is we like the look of the 14K. ;)