Shocking light canopy

Just upgraded our 70 gallon display tank to a 120 gallon. The light canopy zaps us when we're pulling our wet hands out of the tank and we accidently brush up against it. The lights are the same from our last tank, but it's possible we didn't notice it before because the lights were up a little higher. We're running T5s. Is there any way to fix it without buying a new light fixture? Any thoughts?

is your lighting system properly grounded? do you ever get shocked while in the water?

aquacave sells grounding probe to help prevent that stuff. i would look into it but definitely try to find out the issue also but the probe is a great precaution

http://www.aquacave.com/Titanium-Grounding-Probes-C1091.aspx

The light is grounded to the plastic fixture and it only shocks when you get it wet and touch it and the water at the same time. I am going to take it apart this weekend and see if anything is wrong with the internals.

More then likely it's not your light I am guessing something in tank or sump is putting of the voltage. Get a multimeter take black probe and grounded it to metal then take red probe and move it around in tank till you find source. Then replace item or buy grounding probe.

More then likely it's not your light I am guessing something in tank or sump is putting of the voltage. Get a multimeter take black probe and grounded it to metal then take red probe and move it around in tank till you find source. Then replace item or buy grounding probe.

you should also be able to check by touching the water and another ground source (not light). multimeter would probably be a nicer (more comfortable) way to do it.

so, a clarification on electricity (i'm asking, not telling). you get shocked when you are a conduit from a source to ground or another pole. so, if the light is insulated from ground (plastic mount on tank), then you would not get shocked if you were also insulated from the ground (rubber soles). if the light were not the source, wouldn't you get shocked when you touch the water while barefoot?

I know I had an issue with my return a while back were I would get shocked buy just sticking hand in tank with rubber sole shoe I turned everything off got multimeter and test by turning on everything one by one the pump was putting 7 volts. I fixed it by wrapping grounding wire around pump I then removed the screw to my wall outlet the wrapped the grounding wire around screw and screwed it back into the wall.

Yep the plastic shocks. Nothing else. Only when wet. I'm this pic you might can see the ground screwed to the fixture. {style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373506076.895104.jpg

Any salt creep that might be at the fixture power allowing electricity to bridge?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Yeah I was leaning that way. When I take it apart and inspect the wiring I was going to clean it while I was in there.

Yeah it happened to one of my lights so I know it can happen. I cleaned and wiped it down with distilled vinegar and was fine after. Good luck