Return Plumbing Help

Kaplanm

Alright, I'm struggling to figure out how to plumb my sump returns. My tank has a center overflow box, with dual returns. I'd planned on driving both of those off of a single submersible return pump. (The Eheim Compact 3000 to be specific.) Now I'd been reading that it's best to unless absolutely necessary use rigid PVC for all plumbing, but there is no way to connect rigid PVC to the pump. Should I use a short length of hose (say 6") and then connect it to a barp leading into a rigid PVC T, or is there a better method?

Please explain why you think its not possible to configure rigid PVC directly from the return pump outlet?

I believe that model has a barbed outlet designed for flexible tubing.

That is correct. Reasonably, assuming I use clamps to hold the hose on, how likely is a failure with hose barbs and vinyl tubing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

I have the same set up. i used rigid coming down from teh bottom of the tank, 90 degree turn and across to just above teh return pump. Another 90 degree and used a piece of clear tubing to go down and connect the pump.

James

You should use straps to support the "dangling" end of the rigid plumbing. You also might want to consider adding a manifold so you can tap off the return flow to feed reactors and such.

You should use straps to support the "dangling" end of the rigid plumbing.  You also might want to consider adding a manifold so you can tap off the return flow to feed reactors and such.

What is a manifold?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

I did all my plumbing on my new tank using PVC instead of flex hose. I love it. It is so much better than the flex hose I used on my last tank.