Got my first Koralia!

KarenM

I bought a used-but-in-excellent-condition Koralia 4 and got it in the mail today! Do I get initiated into some kind of club now or something? :) Right now I have it on the back glass, about halfway down and a third of the way over, angled slightly toward the middle of the tank. That seems to be a good place for it, but would it be too much flow to have one on each end of my 48" tank?

Just be glad you didn't stumble onto thecaptivereef.com recently. I will never have enough money to get all the stuff I have on my want list. An Infinity G35, Pontiac Trans Am, 6x Pyle Audio PADH-21580, 2x Pyle Audio PASC218, Samson Audio SX1800, 4x Samson Audio SX2800, Numark CDN-95,

then we finally get to reef equipment and livestock and you know how much that can cost. I'm thinking about $15k.

I don't know what have of that stuff is. :) But I can relate, I'm always juggling, too. I'm just now recovering from a new school wardrobe for my daughter and new winter clothes. Now it's Christmas, then her birthday, then a new Spring wardrobe, then tuition to summer sports camps, etc. Thank goodness I only have the one child!

I sold my Koralia 4, I did not like the wide "V" shaped flow and modded it with a shroud a year ago. It helped but the output of a MjMod is so much better. I know the Koralia's now come with a shroud to help with that crazy flow pattern. On a 4' tank you could get away with several K 4's and be ok. The flow isn't one that pushes distance. I had one on my old 125 and it was hard to feel the flow 2' away. I did like it for the mounting and it it is a good bang for the buck powerhead.

So far I love it. I'm amazed at how much different my tank looks (all I had was 3 cheapo powerheads bought at the chain store). I don't have a bubble trap in my sump, and between that and the powerheads, my tank was full of bubbles and 'stuff' all floating around. Now my water is almost perfectly clear. I see the frogspawn and xenias moving, but I don't see the 'water flow' anymore like you do with PH's.

I'm going to get at least one more, and maybe 2.

If you are keeping sps you will want lots of dispersed flow. Seio's, Tunzes and and other "stream" designed pumps are the way to go. Lots of gph and a very wide flow pushes more volume than maxi jet type pumps. Flow is every bit as important to the health of sps as light is. Keep the flow up. :-)

I hope he has a good stock of them...I was there yesterday with the g/f and there were about 5 or 6 K4's on the shelf. :-)

It was our first trip to the store...I liked it a lot and more importantly the g/f liked it too. hehehehe

I figure they'll run out in the first 5 minutes. And since they've been so hard to get, it's odd they're half price.