Plumbing help

Chad and Belinda

Belinda and I are installing our new tank. This is our 1st brand new tank (other than a pico). Chris (bio) is almost finnished with the sump and I just realized I have never made a plumbing system from scratch. I see in threads some folks have ball valves and other plumbing parts. A 120 that we sold a few months back (we never set it up) had some odd lines in it that I was unable to figure out their purpose. I guess what I'm asking is there any threads or sites that show plumbing in detail as well as show me different types of plumbing set ups.

Our system is a 105 with the overflow in the middle. It has dual return pipes and dual drains. The sump is 40 gallons with a fuge. I have a skimmer and a few reactors that run off of maxi jets. With some of the set ups I've seen over the years I'm starting to wonder if I am missing something other than the two drain lines coming into one side and the pumps on the otherside sending the water back up.

If I'm missing some information please let me know.

Are the returns below the water line? If so you need to make sure you place a check valve in each one, you will also need a ball valve on each pipe to make sure you can close the pipe whenever you need to.

I'm sorry Lenver but I definitely have to advise against check valves in saltwater aquarium systems. There's so much biology it's just a matter of time untill something will grow or get in them to keep them from closing if neccessary. If the the return line outlet is below the water line an antisiphon hole right at the water line (or sometimes in the overflow if the return line goes though the overflow) on the plumping will keep water from syphoning back into the sump when the pump is shut off. Try to keep the plumping as simple as possible with as few elbows as possible. Make sure everything fits before glueing and I like using union joints so things are easier to remove especially when pumps fail. Some people like plumping stuff together like running thier reactors off the main pump. It's certainly a valid argument to use a bigger single pump to supply multiple pieces of equipment. Pumps will fail sooner or later and I prefer to have reduncy and if it's feasable use two smaller return pump and seperate pumps for any reactors I might use (or skimmers if you're so inclined to use them). The more complicated the plumping usually the more difficult it is to get in and replace equipment when it fails.

Archived