What about LED Flood lamps

Does anyone know anything about these new LED flood lamps that are out w/ the Epistar Modules?

I was considering putting 2ea on a 75 gal 48 x 18 x 20 and wanting to grow SPS

Total price tag $300

Here are the stats. What do you think? I beleive the total package is around 12500 - 13000 Lumens output

For 50W lamps:

- Input voltage: AC 85-265V 50-60Hz
- Power consumption : 50W
-Color Temperature: 14000K
- LED quantity: 1pcs
- LED sources: 1pcs Epi-star 50W Module LEDs
- Material: Aluminium extruded sections
- Beam Angle: 120 degree
- Lights Size: 11in * 9in * 2.5 in
- 4.85 lbs
- Certificated: CE and ROHS
- Warranty: 2 years
- 110V Plug
- 50,000 Hour LifeSpan (17 YEARS at 8 hours a day)

For 20W Lamps:

- Input voltage: AC 85-265V 50-60Hz
- Power consumption : 20W
-Color: 455 nm Actinic Blue
- LED quantity: 1pcs
- LED sources: 1pcs Epi-star 20W Module LEDs
- Material: Aluminium extruded sections
- Beam Angle: 120 degree
- Lights Size: 7in * 5.5in * 4.3in
- 1.65 lbs
- Certificated: CE and ROHS
- Warranty: 2 years
- 110V Plug
- 50,000 Hour LifeSpan (17 YEARS at 8 hours a day)

I have a daylight on on my sump over some Cheato and it does great. not sure your going to get the best spectrum for coral growth thought. I have an 48" coralife powercompact I would sell. I have seen folks keep sps under similar lighting on smaller tanks. as long as you can place the corals high in the tank I bet it would work.

• Like 1

10gReef

Thanks for the reply! Good to hear you are happy w/ the flood over your sump. I have power compact in my 28 gal now. Heat is an issue and I have to run a 1/10th chiller to manage it. House gets up to 80+ in the summer. Going to use the same chiller on this tank so it would seem only LED is the answer.

I was thinking 14K 100 watts and 455nm Actinic Blue 40 watts would cover the spectrum except for Red which i was going to suppliment w/ 20 - 40 watts.

Really just not sure if 12500 Lumens is enough for a 75 gal tank and SPS which would be in the upper half w/ LPS in the lower half. Does anyone know if this seems to be enough.

I would gues these lights are 2-3 times brighter than standard wattage like VHO. So can I assume in standard terms these lights are around 420 watts max and probably more like 350 standard watts. Looking for a total 0f 400 watts over this tank. Does that sound about right?.

10gReef

So can I assume in standard terms these lights are around 420 watts max and probably more like 350 standard watts. Looking for a total 0f 400 watts over this tank. Does that sound about right?.

Why would you assume this and what lead you to thinking it?

I run multiple tanks and multiple systems. None have a chiller, all use led lighting/manifold to reduce heat from equip. My tanks don't go above ambient house temps.

10gReef

So can I assume in standard terms these lights are around 420 watts max and probably more like 350 standard watts. Looking for a total 0f 400 watts over this tank. Does that sound about right?.

Why would you assume this and what lead you to thinking it?

I run multiple tanks and multiple systems. None have a chiller, all use led lighting/manifold to reduce heat from equip. My tanks don't go above ambient house temps.

Well, the Epistar LED emitters and chips are rated at ~ 90 Lumens per watt, as per research.

And in general LEDs dependent upon reflectors ect… are usually considered to be 2 – 3 times brighter than conventional and when trying to compare by wattage which is not considered to be the best source, are usually 2 – 3 times higher. Is this not correct?

The math shows:

(90 Lumens X 140 watts = 12,600 Total Lumens) and @ 2.5 X watts average per conventional (2.5 X 140 =350watts)

I have been told that 400 watts of T5 lighting would be a great source for growing SPS. But do not have any idea what the lumen or PAR of this is. So I am trying to compare apples to oranges to get the solution. LOL

The only reason I do not just go the T5 route is I am afraid of any heating issues w/ the T5s. LEDs have little heat source and would save me $150 in cost per year in bulbs. And for only $100 more than T5 initial cost I could be in these LEDs.

Led are tested at factory for milliseconds. They tell the highest output in that short blast. As heat builds up and you take in drivers/wires it starts going down. More heat, less output. Try measuring it after its warned up and it won't be as strong.