Sump: off the shelf, or custom?

Kaplanm

I'm starting up a new 50 gal reef (my first) and I'm wondering if people have any opinions as to whether there are any good off the shelf sumps, or is it better to custom design and build one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

It's probably most economical to go with an all glass tank and silicon baffles as you want them. You get the exact layout and water level setup you want. You can add a holder for a filter sock or build a box for filter floss.

There are many good off the shelf sumps, in glass and acrylic, but they tend to be disproportionately expensive unless you can get them used. I use a precision marine refugium / sump that I got here on ARC, but there's no way I would purchase one brand new. $300 brand new, I could easily build 3 or 4 with a better layout on my own for that price.

a lot will depend on what you're willing to spend...my sump cost more than my tank and stand together....nice, but slowed my build

i would do it again, but i would also recommend spending less on fancy toys and more on the animals in the glass box up top

My budget is fairly unconstrained. I just lack any practical experience in the hobby and especially in plumbing. I live in a second story apt, so failure is not really an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD