Plumbing help

chark

I just got a new AGE 26 x 24 x24" aquarium that has an overflow in the middle with 3 holes. I measured the holes as 2 @ 1.75" and 1 @ 1.375", as best I can measure. I am not sure the best way to plumb these and would like help. It seems that I should use 1 inch bulkheads for 2 drains and a 3/4 bulkhead for the return. The overflow looks like it has 2 cutouts that would be used to have the return split into 2 outlets.

Questions:

1. Is it best to use bulkheads with threads or no threads?

2. How do I plumb the drains so they will be the quietest?

3. How do I plumb the returns?

4. How much flow could I do through the drains?
5. Have I asked all that I would need to know? :)

Thanks!

Cecil

If it's horizontal, I would aim for something like this: http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx You should be able to get a good basic idea of the exterior plumbing as well using this article.

1. I like threaded, but slip on the tank side. It's trickier to get them positioned and sealed correctly, but you can remove them as needed. Slip have to be glued in, so you have to cut them out if you ever need to change the layout.

2. I'm assuming these are horizontal overflows. Best bet us to run the with an upward facing elbow (slip street/spigot elbow) and keep your return flow volume low enough so that you don't end up with a gurgling.

4. This really depends on the noise you actually end up with. Lower flow will result in lower noise, as the drain will allow a laminar flow around the outside of the drain pipe with a channel of air in the center. If you have too much flow the air channel collapses and you end up with a recurring gurgling toilet sound. It's hard to say how much flow as the stand height is going to make a big difference in actual vs. rated flow, but something like an Eheim 2000+ turned up or an Eheim 3000+ throttled down would probably be in the right range.

Probably a standard durso then. You would use 2 of them, and the 3rd hole should be for the return. I wouldn't change my pump suggestion. You can look them up to see the flow specs. One nice thing about them is they're adjustable so you can dial in your flow pretty well. Tunze and sicce both make similar adjustable pumps like the eheim if you don't know the exact flow rate you need.