quad t5 bulb combo

ckyuv

So I recently got a new tank that I will soon be upgrading too. I got a quad t5 lamp for the tank until I can afford to add a second kessil. My question is what is the best combo of bulbs for the tank? I have sps, nps and zoas, sps primarily. I was thinking of doing this combo front to back:

Ati blue+

Ati blue+

Ati aquablue special

Ati blue+

Is this too much blue for coral growth?

Any better suggestions?

Have you looked into the newer ATI Coral Plus bulbs. I'm going to replace my aquablues and my purple + for coral plus when I but new bulbs. Supposed to be a little more Par and a better color. The Aquablues tend to wash out colors but the coral plus is supposed to make colors pop.

I have front to back:

Blue +

Aquablue special

Blue +

Purple +

Blue +

Aquablue special

Blue +

Edited by wesreyn

So I recently got a new tank that I will soon be upgrading too. I got a quad t5 lamp for the tank until I can afford to add a second kessil. My question is what is the best combo of bulbs for the tank? I have sps, nps and zoas, sps primarily. I was thinking of doing this combo front to back:

Ati blue+

Ati blue+

Ati aquablue special

Ati blue+

Is this too much blue for coral growth?

Any better suggestions?

Like wesreyn said look at replacing the aqua blue with the coral +, the 3 blue + and 1 coral + is pretty blue, but it looks really good when all 4 bulbs are on. It is what I am running on my tank right now, and I really like it. The other option would be the kz new generation bulb it is similar to the coral +, but a little more expensive. IMO I would stay away from the ab special, it really does wash things out. Hth

Awesome so y'all think 3 blue+ and a coral+ should be a nice color and provide sufficient par for growth? Do you have any sps rob?

I have been very happy with this combo on my tank, and yes it will grow sps. I have a 55 and keep sps and clams on my sandbed. This combo gives the tank a nice blue look. What look are you looking for more blue or white?

Hmmm I think I have an old coral plus bulb that someone gave me that I never used because it was....well used. Maybe I'll pop it in place of the aquablue and see how it looks. I agree the aquablue special makes everything very washed out. I was going to go with a 6500k bulb for a little more full spectrum punch for growth purposes. Maybe a coral plus or a kz new generation would be the ticket though. Decisions.

Don't mean to hijack. I'm literally in the exact same position. Bulb change time on my 4 lamp fixture and wanting to ditch an aquablue special.

To the OP I really like the purple plus bulb in this fixture. Some may say its too powerful of a red bulb to go in a 4 bulb fixture but I think it looks quite nice when all 4 are firing.

Hmmm I think I have an old coral plus bulb that someone gave me that I never used because it was....well used. Maybe I'll pop it in place of the aquablue and see how it looks. I agree the aquablue special makes everything very washed out. I was going to go with a 6500k bulb for a little more full spectrum punch for growth purposes. Maybe a coral plus or a kz new generation would be the ticket though. Decisions.

Don't mean to hijack. I'm literally in the exact same position. Bulb change time on my 4 lamp fixture and wanting to ditch an aquablue special.

To the OP I really like the purple plus bulb in this fixture. Some may say its too powerful of a red bulb to go in a 4 bulb fixture but I think it looks quite nice when all 4 are firing.

Purple plus is a nice bulb. The coral plus according to ATI's website is a mix of the blue plus, ab special, and purple plus. It is a really nice bulb and for me I would pick it over the purple plus. But you could get a nice looking combo with 3 blue plus and a purple plus as well.

What do you think about two blue plus, a purple plus, and a coral plus? I am afraid 3 blue plus would be a little blue for my taste. Excessive blue light gives me a bit of a headache. Lol. I have only blue plus running for my dusk and dawn cycles. I love the fluorescence it gives the corals, but I wouldn't be able to handle that look all day. But the aquablue special tends to take all the color out of everything. The bright reds and greens suddenly turn kind of an olive brown color when the aquablue special comes on

I like the blue look! I'm glad I know the aqua blue washes it out because that's what I don't want!y'all prob have the 46" bulb fixtures too I'm guessing? They seem like they would be powerful enough for a 65g? Its the same footprint as 55g just a lil taller

What do you think about two blue plus, a purple plus, and a coral plus? I am afraid 3 blue plus would be a little blue for my taste. Excessive blue light gives me a bit of a headache. Lol. I have only blue plus running for my dusk and dawn cycles. I love the fluorescence it gives the corals, but I wouldn't be able to handle that look all day. But the aquablue special tends to take all the color out of everything. The bright reds and greens suddenly turn kind of an olive brown color when the aquablue special comes on

The 2 blue plus, purple plus, and coral plus is a nice combo, I ran something similar for about a year and liked it. But I prefer the bluer look and do prefer the 3 blue plus. If you are looking for less blue the combo you suggested will be good.

I like the blue look! I'm glad I know the aqua blue washes it out because that's what I don't want!y'all prob have the 46" bulb fixtures too I'm guessing? They seem like they would be powerful enough for a 65g? Its the same footprint as 55g just a lil taller

If you like the bluer look then I would def suggest the 3 blue plus with either a purple or coral plus with my prefrence being the coral. Yeah the AB special washes out real bad. My fixture has 48" 54 watt bulbs and yes I believe that the 65g is the same footprint as a 55g only a few inches taller. $ should be powreful enough for a 65g the extra depth I don't think would cause any problems, may just have to move SPS up a little.

Thanks for the input. I like a blue look but not the point of unrealistic. I think what I'll do is spend the extra $20 and get an additional coral plus bulb and compare that to the ge6500k bulb.

Here's a reference pic of my tank. Stock iPhone photo I just took with no editing. Taken right this second.

FRONT

Purple+

Blue+

Aquablue special

Blue+

BACK

55 gallon standard 48" tank with aquatic life 4 bulb fixture with individual reflectors.

post-2651-0-67901800-1363300473_thumb.jp

Rock on I just ordered 2 of the bulbs I have 2 new bulbs now so ima wait a bit on the others. No one around here carries the 48" ati bulbs right?

No I have not found anyone that does carry the 48" ATI in town, but BRS has em and reef geek has some good prices as well.

Thanks for the input. I like a blue look but not the point of unrealistic. I think what I'll do is spend the extra $20 and get an additional coral plus bulb and compare that to the ge6500k bulb.

Here's a reference pic of my tank. Stock iPhone photo I just took with no editing. Taken right this second.

FRONT

Purple+

Blue+

Aquablue special

Blue+

BACK

55 gallon standard 48" tank with aquatic life 4 bulb fixture with individual reflectors.

If you change out the AB special with a coral plus or KZ new gen your colors will be much better IMO.

The giesemann blue bulbs aren't my favorite. I swapped mine out for ati blue plus before they were even ready. There is alot of info online about average par values and giesemann bulbs are usually on the lower end for every bulb type. Their midday bulbs look fantastic on my planted tank, but for your purposes I'd stick with ati. They're cheaper and more powerful

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna revive this. My bulbs just came in today. I'm going to replace one bulb per week to ease the transition. I started with a coral plus.

I had mentioned earlier two things that I was wrong on. First, I didn't have an old coral plus to test, second, my daylight bulb was not an aquablue special, instead it was a giesemann aquablue plus. Don't know how I mixed that up but it's been forever since a bulb change. The giesemann is fairly yellow, id call it 10000k at absolute most. Probably lower. The other bulbs are two blue + and one purple +.

Man this coral plus bulbs blows the giesemann bulb out of the water. It makes for a much bluer overall look than I'm used to, but the color is so much better. The corals actually fluoresce while the daylight bulbs are on which never used to happen before.

Thanks for the recommendation. Very glad I went with this one!

Gonna revive this. My bulbs just came in today. I'm going to replace one bulb per week to ease the transition. I started with a coral plus.

I had mentioned earlier two things that I was wrong on. First, I didn't have an old coral plus to test, second, my daylight bulb was not an aquablue special, instead it was a giesemann aquablue plus. Don't know how I mixed that up but it's been forever since a bulb change. The giesemann is fairly yellow, id call it 10000k at absolute most. Probably lower. The other bulbs are two blue + and one purple +.

Man this coral plus bulbs blows the giesemann bulb out of the water. It makes for a much bluer overall look than I'm used to, but the color is so much better. The corals actually fluoresce while the daylight bulbs are on which never used to happen before.

Thanks for the recommendation. Very glad I went with this one!

Glad that you like it, the coral plus is a great bulb. So what is your final bulb config? the two blue+, coral + , and purple+?

That's right. I absolutely love the color now. Think it would be too fast to replace the other bulbs every two or three days instead of weekly?

When I replaced mine I did every 3 IIRC, and did not have any problems. I would not do less that 3 though....

Did you already order your bulbs? I need one more blue+ lol that's funny you took out the geisman , when I was in Houston that's the brand all the stores carried so I got that instead of the coral plus because I read they were so similar. I'm not noticing any was out yet but I do like the white color