HOB Protein Skimmer

dustinclish

Someone gave me a tank and I got it completely set up except for the protein skimmer. I've never had a saltwater tank and I don't know how to use the skimmer. When I plug it in it sucks up water but I dont know if it's working right or not. Here's a picture of it. I would love any advice.

post-3143-0-61265100-1361751225_thumb.jp

I would google the skimmer brand and model and then slap.pdf at the end of the search. Your gonna pull search results with the manual and be able to determine if 1. everything needed is there and 2. if you set it up properly.

I think you have the skimmer too far down into the water. You'll need to adjust the height of the skimmer in the water such that when the cup is off, it's bubbling a little over back into the tank. Once you put the collection cup on, you want the bubbles come up through the neck such that they are popping at the top of the neck. Based on how much water you have in the cup, it looks like they're bubbling over the neck pretty continuously into the cup, which is why your cup is filling up so fast.

By the way, that doesn't appear to be a HOB (hang-on-back) skimmer; it appears to be an in-tank skimmer. A HOB skimmer is operated by pumping the water out of the tank into the skimmer and allowing it to overflow back into the tank. Is it fed by a pump underneath? It might help if you pulled it back out of the tank and provided some pics of it dry so we can see the parts better. From what I can see it appears to operate much like my Tunze 9002. Feel free to come over if you'd like to see both a HOB and an in-tank skimmer in action.

Archived