replacing pump impeller shafts

Mitch

I broke my Mag5 impeller shaft angry.png

I know the shaft itself is not sold separately, but I would have to get a replacement impeller, which comes with the shaft, for <$20.

Since the shafts are only made of ceramic, I was hoping to find something more durable. I did a few searches and see that some people have tried using carbon fiber or stainless steel rods. Has anyone on ARC had success doing either?

Any and all suggestions welcomed. TIA

I may have one to be honest....let me check when I get home...if I have it still....it is yours

Thanks! I'll for sure grab it if you find it.

However, i'm still trying to figure out a better long term solution as i KNOW i'll end up breaking the ceramic shaft many more times.

I picked up a 4 mm carbon fiber rod from Hobby Town for $6 for a 1 m length and which measures 3.81 +/- per caliper. It fits the impeller, but binds a bit. The ceramic shaft has an OD of 3.76 mm per caliper. After a little sand papering, impeller rotates very smoothly on the CF shaft. Per suggestion from Hobby Town guy, I put a little super glue on the cut end. Pump works perfectly now. I'll try to remember to update this thread after some time and report how it's doing.

Stainless steel and carbon fiber are more flexable than ceramic but ceramic is harder so it should wear a lot longer than stainless steel and certainly carbon fiber and might also have less fricton than either.

Archived