Innovative Marine Nuvo 16

C Lo Slice

After deciding to move to Plano and putting the house in Buda on the market, I was fairly certain I wouldn't have the room to take my tank with me or even have any tank in our new apartment, so I sold my 60 gallon and all the stuff that went along with it. Five months after doing that, I've got the itch for a new tank. I went to an LFS up here in the DFW area on Sunday and fell in love with the IM Nuvo 16, which can be found here: http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nano16-0302.html

I haven't been able to stay off DFWMAS, ARC, RC, or R2R since then. It has come down to either going to see Eric Clapton when he comes in March, or getting a new tank. While a new tank is going to cost me A LOT more in the long run, I figure I'll get more prolonged enjoyment out of it (even though I LOVE Clapton and I'll probably be kicking myself if this ends up being my last chance to see him live).

ANYWAYS....

I've been doing some reading on this tank, and it sounds like IM has had a fair share of issues with the silicone on these tanks, mainly the divider between the display area and the filtration (this is an AIO tank). This worries me quite a bit, but all the documented issues that I've come across were from 2011 and early 2012, so I'm hoping the problem has been addressed and fixed by IM. Has anyone here heard of anything regarding this?

I'm also considering upgrading the lights. The tank comes with "(2) 8 Watt SkkyeLight LED Illumination" which I believe is enough for mushrooms and softies. I'm wanting an LPS dominated tank and maybe a couple SPS pieces. I just don't know enough about LEDs to know what is going to be strong enough. I do know, however, that I want to do LEDs on this tank, mainly to help with potential heat issues. I can always add another 8 Watt SkkyeLight from IM for $100, but I still don't think that would give me enough light for what I want.

The tank has two returns with a Y fitting for one pump to be used. I plan on ditching the Y and using two return pumps to add flow. I also intend on upgrading the return into the tank by replacing those little fan fittings with the rotating ones. On the only tank I've owned, though, I had no sump and it was not an AIO tank, so I know absolutely NOTHING about return pumps. Can anyone suggest what I should use?

I've toyed around with the idea of just keeping it as a one-return-pump setup and buying an MP10. Are they really worth the money? I just don't understand why the Vortechs are so much more expensive than other brands. I do like, however, how the motor will be on the outside of the tank, so that will help with potential heat issues, too (and, yes, I'm aware that running two return pumps will increase the heat). I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around dropping $250 on a single powerhead. Not to mention the fact that I'll have some serious explaining to do to my wife.

I've mentioned potential heat issues a few times because, well... it really scares me. We are on the second floor of an apartment and the only spot for this tank will be right underneath a window. If I bought a couple of small clip-on fans aimed at the filtration area, do you guys think that would be enough to keep the temp down during the summer?

The filtration area will be used for ChemiPure, chaeto, and the IM SkimMate Skimmer that was made specifically for this tank. Those of you who have been by my house in Buda will probably recall the massive GHA issue I had in my 60 gallon. I think it was a combination of the poor water I was using and not having enough flow in the tank from the beginning. I plan on buying my water from the LFS for this tank, but I also want to guard against potential GHA issues from the get go. Would anyone suggest I do anything different with the filtration?

I appreciate everyone's time in reading this (I know I tend to ramble). And of course, I welcome any and all comments/suggestions. Hope all you guys are doing well!

I'd say go for the vortech over the 2 returns, for heat and for the health of your livestock, but at the same time, it may be overkill for your tank.

If you're not going to have a controller for your tank, get the regular MP10, not the wireless, it's a little less I believe. What you're paying for is the random flow factor and the ability to change the intesity to whatever you like or your corals like.

With return pumps, they're only going to push in one direction at one speed, whereas with the Vortechs you can have them pulsing between high and low speeds at a range set by you, or going up and down randomly throughout the day, much more like the real reef. It's up to your liking too, You could get a couple of Koralia nano's and a timer or two and have them alternate too I think.

I used a Build my LED 1' fixture over my 10 gallon and I had to move a piece of SPS down because it was bleaching, so it definitly puts out some light. It would cost you more than the additional fixture that matches yours though.

Thanks for the input, Ian.

I'm also open to other AIO tanks, if anyone has any suggestions. Ideally, I'd prefer to spend $200 or less on a tank and then get the lights I really want. I'm not sure if I put this in the right forum. I was kinda hoping for more input by now :(

Archived