Thinking about an upgrade

aggieMEDIC

So here is the deal: we both want to upgrade to a bigger tank. We want 90-120. and we already have a 55. so the thought is either way we go its going to be a 48" footprint. She wants me to give her a list of what we need to get the 55 started, but make sure the equipment used will be sufficient for when the 55 is replaced by a 90. for ease of the upgrade, i would like to make it as plug-and-play as possible. Empty the 55, put the 90 on the stand, put everything back in and fill it up.

Inevitably what happens is i tell her what we need but i forget things so it ends up significantly more expensive than originally planned. here is my plan. I have created a spreadsheet that i will use to keep track of costs. I want to start with the bare necessities:

Stand

Rock

lights

sump

return pump

return/drain lines

overflows (55 is not drillable)

Heater

I have a skimmer sufficient for the 55 but its too small for the 90.

I like the open top so no canopy is needed.

Then once the tank is running i can add things like reactors etc.

I think if we are going to upgrade to a 90 why not just start with the 90 because its what we both want but she is worried it is going to cost too much. as far as the 90 goes the 55 can be used for the sump/fuge. the stand will be built to fit both tanks so that i wont have to include the cost on building a new one.

This is pretty new to me as my first and only SW tank is my AIO NanoCube 24. so everything was included in one cost.

I am including retail prices so that i can come out on top if i find deals online.

Her reasoning is why build it from scratch when we can find deals on forums for whole setups for less than the cost I am giving her. she makes a good point but i think for our budget it is easier to piece things together than one large purchase.

Anyway I need help on the list. and convincing one of us on which way to go.

Thanks for all of your help. I'd like to do this fast because that 90 for sale on here is calling me, and its going to go fast.

I say do the 90. I started with the 55 that i currently have running. And now i want a 150. I have to buy more equipment to handle that size tank. I should have started larger and sunk my money into the larger tank. It's sometimes harder to sell your smaller tank and get full value back. You will be out some money. I say go for it and start larger if both of you agree. The difference in money between the two shouldn't be a lot.

I'd go right to the 90 also. If she is scared of the price remind her how she mentioned, you can find good deals on forums and such :P

They are both 48" but the depth is diffrent so the stand would have a lot of lip while the 55 was on it unless you changed out the top boards when switching tanks.

They are both 48" but the depth is different so the stand would have a lot of lip while the 55 was on it unless you changed out the top boards when switching tanks.

Yeah I actually like having a lip on the stand, and i'll include room for a small lip even when the 90 is on it.

I don't think that you will find the difference in money to be that significant for the 90g over the 55g especially if you are already planning to buy items sized for the 90g anyway... And you have all the trouble of moving things and trying to get to the 90g at a later point. I would recommend finding a 90 setup from the forum that you both like and meets your basic needs, then you can add equipment and make the other customized changes you want over time. And yes, if the Stand is built in away the 55g can fit in it, you could use it as the sump. I have a 55g as my sump for my 180g. I put in acrylic baffles and I love it.

Go with the 90g from the beginning! You will wish you had if you don't.

and to add to your list of stuff to buy you'll need an RO/DI unit, trash can and extra pump for mixing salt, Buckets of salt, Test kits, silicone and plumbers glue, aqua lifter if you go HOB overflow, surge protector, 2 part dosing once you get going, ATO, Carbon or other filter media, thermometer, CUC, Timers, stuff to hang the lights. I can keep going, had a lot of coffee today...

and to add to your list of stuff to buy you'll need an RO/DI unit, trash can and extra pump for mixing salt, Buckets of salt, Test kits, silicone and plumbers glue, aqua lifter if you go HOB overflow, surge protector, 2 part dosing once you get going, ATO, Carbon or other filter media, thermometer, CUC, Timers, stuff to hang the lights. I can keep going, had a lot of coffee today...

Have the RO/DI, need new filters but she already knows that, have 2 55gal drums just need to build the water station, Need to get pump though

Have test kits already, probably not enough though. ammonia, NO3, NO4, pH, Iodine, Alk, Calcium What else will I be needing?

I already have an ACjr so ill use that for thermometer and timers, and i'd like it to control my Topoff. Buckets of salt would be important. Ill put it on the list but i wont give it a price because its recurring. I have a light I am already using for my "in back" fuge. For filter media i imagine 2 media bags with different media that the water flows through.

I will add silicone, plumbers glue, filter media, light rack, dosing, pump for water station, acrylic for sump building, media bags.

Need help picking skimmers and return pumps, and info on the aqualifter and 2 part dosing.

I recommend a maxi-jet 1200 to be used as an aqualifter. Trust me on this. With a HOB overflow if your aqualifter is clogged up which they easily do you'll have a very pretty indoor waterfall. Dosing will really depend on if your doing water changes or not so if you plan to do a bunch of water changes for the first couple of months then you can skip this item.

Mitch just pointed me to the mag chart as I was using a different sump but you want a pump that'll be less than the max gph on your overflow with the head height subtracted from it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_Mag_Drive_Supreme_3_350_GPH_Water_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Aquarium_Pumps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBUF-DN1121-vi.html

If you are going the 90g route, get a Reef ready one so you don't have the HOB overflow and the associated hassle. Also instead of Media bags, I would recommend a BRS Dual Chamber Reactor for your Carbon and GFO. It is much easier, more effiicient and gets the job done better.

Archived