I may be the first person to successfully kill GSP

AndrewT

I got a rock of gsp from Lou Dawg a week ago and it has not opened at all. The rock did sit in 60 degree water for a decent amount of time before I was able to get it home. Could it be that the gsp just hasnt adjusted to my tank in that week... or were the two of us actually able to do the impossible and kill gsp?

Edited by AndrewT

let it be.

I've had GSP in one tank that didnt open for near 3 weeks and once it did it was all open at the same time. if anything touches it they will close up for 36-48 hours unlike my other gsp that is out within an hour or two after being disturbed.

• Like 1

My gsp regularly stays closed for days at a time. I think I have it too close to the lights though. From what I hear its nearly impossible to kill but gets irritated very easily. Hard to make it look good for me but its always alive.

Also from what I understand, diatoms are a part of new tank cycling, are completely harmless, and will keep your snails and crabs fat.

• Like 1

Does the base (purple-pink part) appear to be breaking down? If not, there's still a chance they'll eventually recover. 60 degrees is pretty cold, so maybe it was too much for them, but I got surprised a couple months ago by a montipora I thought was not only dead but actually gone for a couple weeks coming back to life. If a Monti can do it, I KNOW GSP can.

Check out my thread in this forum called "what are the chances". That first photo was from when it started looking BETTER. For a week or two before that it just looked like an algae covered rock with no polyps or visible live tissue.

Is there anything near it that may be continuing to irritate it like a nem or other coral? Corals like hammer put out long sweepers at night that can sting things further away than you realize. Maybe move it to a different area of the tank just to make sure. Maybe there's a critter in a rock nearby that comes out at night keeping it down.

Yeah theres nothing else in the tank close by. Tank is pretty new so not much in it. The gsp looks like it is breaking down a little bit around the rock. wasnt sure if I should remove it cause it may be dying in the tank or leave it in there and see if it gets any better.

I would leave it if you have a protein skimmer. Most of the junk will get skimmed away, and since your tank is new and maybe still establishing bacterial flora (and assuming you don't have any SPS) it will just add to the party. If it's a really big piece, you might do a water change.

With a new tank, you probably have new live rock in there and it's still possible there is some nocturnal critter that comes out of the rock at night and picks on the GSP.

yeah sure I definitely wouldnt mind scooping some up from you. Im free all day tomorrow. I tried to add a piece of sps Vu gave me a few weeks ago and it just bleached out. The blastos and candy canes are doing great though

Edited by AndrewT

Last weekend I took out a LR that had cyano, bubble algae and hair algae on it along with a small patch of GSP and blasted it with H2O2 then scrubbed it with RODI. The GSP stayed closed for 3-4 days, so I was sure I killed it. It just started opening back up! As Bio3 said, lots of people can give you some, including me. But mine isn't the nicer neon green.