what is this?

new55galSALT

I was reading on here that there is something killing sps .... as my tank can never grow sps i have one small colony of birdsnest...

So inspecting my tank i saw this thing on my colony i poked it with my grabber claw seems to have a hard cocoon but it looks like it casts a net over my birdsnet and i just saw it pull in this net thing and then poop... is it killing my sps or just my sps bad luck..

It is a cell phone picture but it shows the net thing click to zoom if needed

post-2343-0-72818900-1357976618_thumb.jp

The net you're describing has me inclined to say it's a vermetid snail. You can get rid of them temporarily (kill just the ones you treat) with a dot of superglue gel or coral glue to cover the end of the tube. Generally, they will decrease in number if you work on less frequent feedings (starving them out).

Yeah, they won't move. They have a calcified/hard tube, and every now and again will let out a mucus feeding net. If its right next to your birds nest, it could be stealing the food and nutrients from the birds nest. And I think the mucus in general might irritate the birdsnest polyps and cause them to retract constantly.

I agree with ClarkiiCircus and (Bio)3 Some people don't like them and large populations have been shown to irritate corals with the slime "fishing strings" they produce but I've never had a problem with them and actually consider a few of them beneficial components of a healthy ecosystem. Unless you literally have slime sheets being formed by them I would not attribute them to causing your problems with SPS.

Archived