Wrasse ID?

PeeperKeeper

I don't remember for sure what I was told this is. I want to say yellow fin wrasse, but I see no yellow on his fins. Sorry for poor photos. He is very social and likes to come to the front of the tank, but he moves so fast I can't focus on him. He's the orange and purple one.

post-28-0-95637600-1357756480_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-24732100-1357756536_thumb.jpg

It also could be a type of Halichoeres or Coris species. Leaning towards a Cirrhilabrus or Halichoeres more than Coris though... Very interesting and beautiful fish. I love wrasses. Where did buy it and how much did it cost you... Those may be clues to what it is as well... What is it's temperament? Has it grown much since you bought it and has there been any coloration changes as it has matured? Any way to get a better picture?

I'll try to get some better photos with my real camera. Those were just with my iPhone.

I think I got him late last summer & he is slightly bigger than he was. I probably paid around $30 for him @ Fishy Biz.

I could just call Shane & ask him but I feel bad sayin, "You know that fish you sold me 4 or maybe it was 6 months ago? What was that? "

As I said, the fish is very social. In fact when I have my hand in the tank he's always right there, even to the point that I can touch him, especially if I'm moving rocks. Once I picked up a rock and he nabbed a 1" bristle worm off the bottom of it and attacked it on the tank floor til he could eat it. When I first added him to the tank, I also added a 2 spot hogfish & a Firefish & I thought the first day my Melanaris Wrasse was gonna kill him (the hogfish hid under a rock while they battled it out) but after a couple days they were fine and I haven't seen them mess with each other since.

I am leaning towards what Timfish has identified. My Fairies are always out and about even with my hand in the tank and are the first to rush to my hand for food. If you can get a better picture and show that to Shane, I am sure he could tell you what it was if he sold it to you and knew at that time. Also I would like to know as I want to find one myself for my tank. It is a beautiful fish and I want to add it to my Wrasse collection. punk.gif

Yes, I think you got it Timfish, and thank you Bio. Looks like there is a fair amount of variation in color on the photos I can now find online but this one looks the most like him:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maynard/401390561/

Oh and this one is gorgeous!

C_venusta.jpg

Archived