Leopard Wrasse and sand

PeeperKeeper

I am thinking of getting a leopard wrasse, but currently I have an *almost* BB and the direction I've been going with my tank is toward more SPS, so knowing leopards need at least some sand, I'm hesitant. Also, my tank is so full of rock that there isn't even that much area in the bottom that can be seen from the front/reached to be able to stir.

That being said, another critter I've wanted to have is a tube anemone like the one in my profile pic that I used to have and I know they also like to have their foot in the sand.

So how much sand would I need to add and what problems might it create?

Wrasses need at least a two inch sandbed, some require much more than that. And most tube nems need about a four inch sandbed.

There are some wrasses that are not sand sleepers, but I'm not sure you would want them in your tank :).

I currently have a leopard wrasse, yellow coris, and a Kner's in my 72g. They are all sand sleepers, my sandbed is about two inches deep, and the will always seek out the deepest and to sleep in. They need a deep enough sandbed so that they feel secure. Stress is a big killer of leopard wrasses, and not being able to hide sufficiently is a huge stressor.

Like Bio says above, I think there are definitely options for you if you want a sand sleeping wrasse, like a Leopard. I currently have 6 wrasses and a couple are sand sleepers and others that are not. I also have a purple tube anenome. My sandbed varies from glass bottom to 2.5 inches depending on how the fish and water current has moved it around. If it were all flattened out, I probably about an inch to 1.25 inches. All are thriving very well.

I see several options for you.

1. Forget about wrasses/tube anemone all together.

2. Go a different route with wrasses that sleep in the rocks, like Fairy Wrasses, etc.

3. Add a sand bed to your entire tank, SPS can still do well with a sandbed.

4. Create an acrylic box or some other sort of container to create a specific area of your tank that will house your sand bed for your Leopard Wrasse and/or Tube Anenome...

Which one you take is really up to what you want in your tank and how you want your tank to look and feel. Depending on this decision, how you go about best accomplishing the results is a future discussion; once you have made your decision.

Good luck!

+1 to what Bio said, you can put a bowl or container of sand and then hide it in the middle of your live rock to provide the wrasses a sand refuge while still having a BB.

I've had by two tube anemones for almost 4 years living in custom tube anemone homes I made for them. I took 4" pieces of pvc pipe, glued frag plugs to one end to block them, then put a little sand in the bottom. Place the tube anemone in it, then fill in a bit of sand so the anemone is held in place. That's it, and now you can move your anemones easily whenever you need to.

Love all the info. I especially like the idea of separate containers for the tuber and the wrasse's "sandbox".

I probably should have said in the beginning my list of fish because I already have some wrasses and similar species. I currently have a Melanaris wrasse, a two-spot hogfish and a twin spot goby (or is that a two spot goby and a twin spot hogfish?**) a Hippo tang, a fire fish and what I was told is a yellow fin wrasse, but it might be some other kind of fairy wrasse because I don't really see any yellow on his fins. Are any of them sand sleepers? Maybe I'll need a couple of sandboxes.

** looked it up. I was wrong both ways, it's a Tailspot Blenny and Two Spot Hogfish.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I'm still struggling with this decision. I love the idea of the PVC pipe for the tuber and plan to do that. Was that a 4" diameter pipe or 4" long pipe? If it's 4" diameter, how long would it need to be?

I tried using one of those plastic reptile baths you can get at PetsMart for the wrasse "sandbox" but quickly found out that they are VERY bouyant which makes it difficult to tuck them behind the rocks. doh.gif I was trying to come up with something more natural looking than an acrylic box, but I'm not sure what would be safe to use and wouldn't leach out anything into the water. Is there something readily available, not expensive and easy to work with?

I've been talking to Shane at Fishy Biz, who is very anti-sand and thinks that was the root of some water problems I used to have when I had a sand bed. He likes crushed coral substrate. He thinks it's easier to keep clean and obviously it stays put better. Will the wrasses still use crushed coral substrate to sleep in or does it have to be sand? If I don't come up with a good sandbox, I may do crushed coral in a couple of areas.

Crushed coral will injure the wrasses. I know this from personal experience. They will try to dive into it, and will wind up with open wounds. They will also stress badly because they cannot get down into it to sleep.

+1, it definitely has to be sand, not crushed coral. You can use an old Cool Whip or margarine container. Glue a few rocks on the sides or inside to weight it down, the additional weight of the sand should hold it.

As for the tubes, tube anemones are very narrow. I used 4" long pieces of 1" diameter pvc. Any PVC less than 2" should work fine, but standard frag plugs will fit the end of the 1" diameter to nicely plug it up.

Archived