Who uses Ozone?

xcreonx

I'm about to begin my journey into using ozone in my reef tank. After years of deliberation I've decided to set it up and try it out.

I will be using the Red Sea 50mg unit with the probe, controller and air dryer on my 35gallon tank. It will be dosing directly into my Deltec AP600 skimmer through the recirculator pumps venturi. I will also put a bag of carbon on the water output to prevent any stray o3 in the tank, as well as a small bag on the air vents of the skimmer, to prevent any leakage into my living room!

Anyone currently using o3?

Reasons to use Ozone:

- improved oxygen saturation

- increased redox potential

- increased water clarity = more light for corals

- removal of odors and stains from water

- pathogen control

- more effective skimmer production

Yes, I did read those back when they came out. Very interesting indeed.

The unit came today and it is now running through my skimmer.

My ORP read 81mv at first. Now, about 5 hours later it read 143mv. The o3 is running at 18mg/hr (I'm slowly ramping it up) until it reaches my defined ORP setting of 300mv.

The only noticeable difference so far is my skimmer seems to be running very dry. Lots of nasty foam, but not it's usual cup-a-day. I fully expect this to increase as so many others have.

ORP and Ph have a somewhat confusing relationship, and honestly I don't understand it at all! I'm testing this right now. My ph was around 8.3 with an ORP of 81mv. As the ORP increases, I will test the ph and report it back here.

Do you have a pH monitor? That would yield more precise results than your test kit, the results of which are quite subjective and can be influenced by differences in room lighting, etc.

Very true. A ph monitor is my next purchase. Since I just threw down some cash for the ozone, I'll be pickin up a ph probe in a few weeks. I've had reliable results with the Salifert kits, as most people do, but a monitor is def the way to go. They even have calcium monitors out now.... for a pretty penny!

11:30am

ORP 221mv

PH still a solid 8.3

No real noticeable observations as of yet. Water looks clear, polyp extension all good as usual. Skimmer is still skimming dry, which doesn't really bother me.

7/13

3:45pm

ORP 249

PH 8.3

Observations: Water is decidedly more clear than it was three days ago. Even my girlfriend commented on it, which is always a good sign:P

I am starting to see why I chose starfire glass!

Polyp extension appears better as well across the board. Euphyllias all look amazing, blastos and zoas are plump, leathers all polyped out and healthy.

Skimmer is pulling out more each day. There's a good 1/2 inch of the darkest nastiest crud I've ever seen in the cup.

The ORP does drop a small amount at night, as to be expected. Not more than 10 or 15 points.

So far I'm very positive on the ozone experience. I know this record isn't scientific, but observation do count for something :(

I'm happy it's working out well for you; I have a few questions. Do you have nuissance algae in your tank and, if so, has running ozone had any effect? Does the unit that you are using occupy much space? What skimmer are you using, by the way? Thanks, and please continue to report on your continued (hopefully) success.

Mike

Hi Mike.

I haven't had any nuisance algae. The tank is new, only 3 months old, but everything is from my old 180g that was up for many years, so I didn't have a cycle or anything. I do get phyto growing on the walls, and the occasional dinos on the sand (the only nuisance that has popped up since setting the tank up, but only a little here and there).

I think it's too early to determine the effect of the ozone on the phyto blooms, if there will even be an effect. Same with the dinos and any other algae that may pop up.

The unit is small, maybe 7"x7"x3" so it doesn't take up much space at all.

I am using a Deltec AP600 recirculator skimmer fed directly from one of the overflows. WAY too big for my tank... I had bought it for a 65g SPS tank I was gonna setup before I moved (but never did), and I didn't want to get another skimmer so I slapped it on the 35g. I tell you, it skims at least a cup of crap a day! It's rated for a 200g tank!

Congratulations, it looks like you went the right direction by adding ozone to your tank. Although with a skimmer like yours, who needs ozone :( . I checked out the unit that you are using, and it's gotten great reviews. Are you using the unit with the built-in controller, or are you using an external controller? Red Sea also sells a unit with an ORP probe, or you can choose to get one separately (like a PinPoint) and attach it to the Red Sea unit. Which route did you take and why (if you don't mind me asking). I'm really interested in ozone, but I'm a little leary since I have a mixed reef and if the water is "too clean" then my softies might suffer (?).

Your ORP has been steadily rising and your pH hasn't budged ... guess my theory about the partial pressure of CO2 and an expected alkalosis wasn't correct afterall dontknow.gif .

Yeah i'm happy with it so far.

I did get the Red Sea deluxe unit with the probe and controller and the air dryer.

It is interesting, and very gratifying, that the ph has remained stable as the ORP has rise quite dramatically. I'll be bumping it up into the mid-300s this next week.

I don't think you need to worry about water 'too clean' for your softies. I have nothing but LPS and softies that supposedly love dirtier water and they are doing wonderful. I do feed them however. I have oyster eggs and other such food for them. And remember many of the common softies live in and amongst the cleaner-water-lovin' SPS on the reef.