Newbie with a 5 gallon

Rett Mincher

I decided to jump in with both feet. A friend of mine traded for a 5 gal hex pico, and didn't have space to use it right away. He had a red mithrax crab that started sampling his corals, so it had to go. He loaned me his 5 gal, since he has very limited space, and a little sand and some water. I got the tank set up and put some fossilized coral pieces I had from Missouri, but honestly didn't know as much as I thought I did, and the poor thing died. Learning experience #1 I suppose. A couple weeks later some of his other critters started acting up. His blenny decided coral was yummy, so he had to find it a new home too. So, here we go again. I'm trying to do research and do it right this time. I got the tank set up again, and added some LEDs. I put a strip of 3 blues in the lid by the CFL, and a strip of 3 whites over the filter compartment. I put some algae up there to be a biofilter. I got a variety of liverock from Aqua Dome, and Fishy Business. My buddy also gave me a few tiny crabs, a white mithrax, a red mithrax, and a gorilla crab, and a hermit, which I found out isn't really a crab at all, and also some different varieties of algae. The liverock was loaded with various critters. The largest creature in the tank now is a bristle worm, but probably the blenny by weight. There are some astarina stars, at least one brittle star, tube worms, and more stuff makes its presence known every. Next to come are some rescue corals and some snails and maybe a shrimp. I'm itching to get the 10 gallon and the 55 gallon in my closet set up, but easy does it. This hobby is expensive...but amazing. Such a plethora of life! But now the tank is cycled, so even more stuff should come. I cannot wait, but I'm trying to be patient!

post-2937-0-37252100-1356217853.jpg

post-2937-0-26686700-1356217874.jpg

post-2937-0-49766000-1356218060_thumb.jp

post-2937-0-46721900-1356218095.jpg

post-2937-0-50492200-1356218133.jpg

Pico is just for a small tank, smaller than a nano, usually like 5 or less gallons. Some people even call 2 gallons or less specs smile.png

awesome thanks kim. ive been wanting to ask that question for a while.... since the idea of a pico contest came up actually. i hate not knowing something. thanks againthumbsup.gif