Lesson on lighting

Headless_donkey

I have learned a lesson on lighting the hard way.

I refused to buy "expensive" compact florescent bulbs when I could buy MUCH cheaper ones at certain internet venders. Whne I got these bulbs they looked great. I told everyone about them. I asked people why they would pay twice as much for the same product with a name brand. I said they were just as good as any other. Boy was I wrong. They intially went over my custom 20 gallon. Corals started growing well, but so did the cyano. I tried my best to remove phosphates(which tested 0), ran carbon, almost bought a skimmer. Finally, I decided just to set-up another tank. In the new tank I am using high quality T5s and have almost no cyano(one spot that held over from the 20, it seems to be getting better).

So now I had this CF lighting set-up that I wasn't using. Well I decided to use it over the fish only fuge. Before I was using some NO florescents. There were a few spots of cyano, but not that bad. This morning I checked the fuge and OMG with the CF lights the entire fuge is covered with red slime. I am not happy. Now I have to figure out a different lighting solution.

Moral(as I see it): buy good bulbs it will save you money and heartache.

wow that stinks, i bought a bulb today and its a 14000k-400w-SPS looks great, cant wait to get it set over tank. Have to finish making canopy. i had a bout with cyno, and i used some stuff called chemiclean redslime remover. Works GREAT, and SAFE. In 48 hrs it was almost gone and in 3 days gone. Just do the water change like it says or about a month later it will come back. When i did it, i threw away all filter pads carbon and replaced new.havent had any CYNO since

You need a T5 specific ballast IMO. You can use a VHO ballast, but they are not setup to ignite the bulb properly and will effect the life span of the bulb.

I think the key is to find a good quality bulb. That doesn't mean the most expensive, just one that is tried and true. I have experience with mostly halides and the $ factor is very misleading. There are $60 XM's, $80 Iwasakis, and $110+ bulbs that are way over priced IMO. I try to stay in the middle on most equipment. Not top of the line, but also no bottom of the barrel.