BRS Dual Media Reactor Questions

madsalt

I just setup my BRS dual media reactor and so far I am happy with it, I just have a few questions.

1. If anyone is running this have they seen their canisters not fill all the way? Right now it seems that my carbon canister is only filled halfway, the water seems to be flowing through. Any ideas, or is this ok. Nothing seems to be clogged and the reactor has only been running for 3 days.

2. Has anyone put the carbon canister in first and then the GFO carbon? If so has it been doing ok? Or is this a big no, no with this reactor?

Thanks.

Without a doubt I have noticed a lot of clarity with the tank and some reduction in algae growth. I don't want to be to over zealous with the testing because I want to see if there are large results vs multiple small ones. I am really trying to dial it in so I am hoping someone replies with some tricks as to how I can do that.

• 5 months later...

I have one that I've been running since I started. (Approx Easter). It seemed to be ready to change media very quickly as the flow slowed to a crawl on the discharge end. Once I changed it out my skimmate became less in the skimmer and the water was more clear again. I have always had 100% water in each canister but I read on here previously about air getting trapped occasionally. All you have to do is unscrew the canister slightly to release the air. Be careful because water will begin to come as well.

I don't know how often others change their media but I've heard varying answers from all I ask. Anyone?

I also want to know if your gfo continues to tumble or does it all get forced to the top. Mine tumbles a tiny bit at the bottom, but quickly moves to be one large mass.

Planaden, I really like me reactor it has worked great so far, I really recommed one. Some people worry about carbon and laterl line errosion but I have not had a problem. River City sells them now, not sure of the price so you might want to price compare with them vs having one with shipping costs. You can run a single reactor with gfo and carbon but it is not as efficient.

Wardlaw, you should probably be changing your media at least once a month, depending on your tank you might be able to go a little longer on the carbon but I prefer to change them together.

I have never had my gfo clump together, my gfo is in the fist chamber and I make sure it tumbles enough to keep it going. If you notice it clumping you might need to make sure you have enough flow. Again changing your media at lease once a month might help.

I thinks its like 10 bucks a pound, this stuff is pricey but it works well. There is other media you can use like phosguard it works well and doesn't clump like gfo. Then again you you have to use a separate pump for phosguard unless your return pump is powerful enough

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, dont normally read this forum. No problems with my dual reactor. I will see the canisters about half full with air every time I change them out, but within a couple weeks the air manages to all get purged somehow. No big deal. My GFO is set to a very very gentle tumble, and every three or 4 days the tumble will slow to a stop and I just open the ball valve up totally for about 20 seconds and that breaks up the mass no problem. Set it back to a gentle tumble. The lines haven't ever gotten CLOGGED yet and I've been using it since December.

I have read everywhere that carbon is best changed every two weeks. Most of what I've read indicates it is exhausted over 90% within 2-3 days, but after two weeks it starts acting like biological filtration and gets over colonized by bacteria. Just what I read, not claiming that research as my own. I change it every two weeks just to be safe.

I don't have a phosphate tester, so I just change my GFO out monthly. If I had a phosphate tester I'd change it when it reached more than 0.05 ppm.

I stagger my media changes too. A typical month will look like this beginning with all new media:

week 1: water change

week 2: carbon change

week 3: water change

week 4: carbon AND GFO change

Repeat sequence. That way i dont combine my nutrient reduction methods and alleviate any potential system shocking. It's resulted in a very gradual nutrient reduction and noticeable algae growth reduction over the last 6 months. I've used about 1/3 gallon of rox 0.8 carbon and standard BRS GFO in that time.

Edited by Bpb